|Win: KRIEG (2-0)||8.0||4||0||0||2||1|
|Loss: LEE (4-1)||8.1||9||8||7||1||5|
|Win: ROSEBOOM (4-0)||6.0||5||1||1||6||3|
|Loss: DOANE (3-1)||6.0||11||6||5||1||3|
|Win: FREEMAN (4-0)||7.0||7||4||4||2||5|
|Loss: KNAUFF (0-1)||0.0||0||2||0||2||0|
Thursday, March 14, 2013
SPARTANBURG, S.C. (March 14, 2013) – The Atlantic Sun Conference season begins this weekend as the ETSU baseball team travels to Spartanburg for a three-game series at USC Upstate.
GAME TIMES/PITCHING MATCHUPS
- Friday – 6 p.m. (Harley Park)
RHP Griffin Krieg (1-0, 6.60 ERA) vs. RHP Brandon Lee (4-0, 1.24 ERA)
- Saturday – 2 p.m. (Harley Park)
RHP Kerry Doane (3-0, 1.09 ERA) vs. LHP David Roseboom (3-0, 2.91 ERA)
- Sunday – 1 p.m. (Harley Park)
Both teams have yet to name their starter for the series finale.
LAST TIME OUT FOR THE BUCS
- The Blue and Gold pounded out a season-high 21 hits en route to cruising to a 20-9 victory at UNC Asheville Wednesday afternoon. Freshman outfielder Jeremy Taylor (Fayetteville, Ga.) went 5-for-6 with four runs scored and four RBI, while sophomore shortstop Chris Riopedre (Miami, Fla.) and Clinton Freeman (Jonesborough, Tenn.) extended a few streaks of their own. Riopedre moved his hit streak to 10 straight games after posting a pair of hits (one home run) and Freeman has now reached base safely in 17 consecutive contests by going 4-for-5 with three RBI.
- The 21 hits were the most registered by the Bucs since totaling 23 hits in an 18-7 win at Eastern Kentucky back on April 26, 2011.
- The 20-run game marked the most runs scored by the Blue and Gold since defeating Stetson 22-4 in game two of a doubleheader on May 1, 2010.
- Taylor, Freeman, and Dylan Tritsch (Boca Raton, Fla.) combined for 12 of ETSU’s 21 hits on Wednesday, while the Bucs scored at least one run in all but three of the innings. After the Bulldogs pulled even at five in the bottom of the third, ETSU outscored the home team, 15-4, for the remainder of the game.
- Peyton Taylor (Kingsport, Tenn.), Will Chesney (Knoxville, Tenn.) and Freeman combined for 4.1 scoreless innings in relief and struck out six Asheville hitters.
- ETSU improved to 10-4 following Wednesday’s victory, marking its best 14-game start since opening the 2011 season 11-3.
ABOUT USC UPSTATE
- The Spartans have won 10 of their 12 games at home this season and are 10-5 overall.
- USC Upstate was picked to finish third in the preseason coaches poll, while reigning A-Sun Player of the Year Gaither Bumgardner was selected preseason player of the year heading into the 2013 campaign.
- The Spartans rank second in the league in ERA (2.96), while their .306 batting average is tied for second with Florida Gulf Coast. Meanwhile nationally, USC Upstate ranks 18th in ERA, 34th in batting average, and 35th in runs scored.
- Senior catcher/infielder Trey Richardson has hit four of Upstate’s five home runs, and he also leads the team in hits (20), doubles (8), and RBIs (19).
- Brandon Lee and David Roseboom are 7-0 with a 1.95 ERA in eight combined starts … the starting pitchers have also struck out 34 and walked 11 in 50.2 combined innings pitched.
- ETSU leads the all-time series, 11-9, and the Bucs are 9-5 against USC Upstate as A-Sun foes.
- The Bucs are 5-0 in games played at USC Upstate since the Spartans joined the league in 2008.
- Senior infielder Derek Niesman (Wellington, Fla.) is hitting. 316 (6-19) in five career games versus the Spartans, while senior outfielder Andrew Green (Powell, Tenn.) has reached base 13 times in seven starts against Upstate – seven hits, four walks, and two hit by pitches.
- Live stats will be available for all three games this weekend via StatBroadcast by visiting ETSUBucs.com. Fans can access live stats on their computers, mobile devices or tablets.
- All three games this weekend will be broadcast live on ASun.TV for free by visiting http://asun.neulion.com/asc/.
- Live updates will also be posted on Twitter by following @ETSUAthletics and @ETSU_Baseball.
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
For more information on Buccaneer baseball, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the baseball link.
|Copyright ©2014 East Tennessee State Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.ETSUBucs.com|