Baseball game suspended against North Florida with ETSU leading 5-0
Baseball game suspended against North Florida with ETSU leading 5-0
Thursday, April 5, 2012

JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (April 5, 2012) – With ETSU in front 5-0 in the bottom of the seventh, strong thunderstorms moved through the Johnson City area and suspended play until 5:00 p.m. tomorrow.

Play will pick up with runners on first and third and Zach Waters (Woodstock, Ga.) batting with a 1-0 count and two outs in the inning. Game two of the series will follow at 7:05 p.m. and will be the first game under the lights at Thomas Stadium.

ETSU starting pitcher John Long (Anderson, S.C.) was very impressive as he allowed just three hits and no runs through seven innings, while striking out five.

ETSU struck first in the third inning as Clinton Freeman (Jonesborough, Tenn.) blasted his fifth home run of the season. With two-outs in the inning, Freeman drilled the 2-0 pitch from Organ deep over the right center field wall to give the Bucs an early 1-0 lead.

The Bucs extended their lead in the fourth thanks to a two-run single by Waters. Chris Riopedre (Miami, Fla.) led off the inning with a walk and Kerry Doane (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.) followed with a double down the left field line to put runners on second and third with no outs. Waters followed by drilling the 0-1 pitch right up the middle to bring home Riopedre and Doane – putting the Bucs in front 3-0.

ETSU added another run in the fifth with no hits in the inning. Freeman and Dylan Pratt (Johnson City, Tenn.) led off the frame with back-to-back walks before Derek Niesman (Wellington, Fla.) grounded into a double play, which advanced Freeman to third. Riopedre drew a four pitch walk and ball four got past catcher Paul Karmeris – allowing Freeman to scamper home from third to give the Bucs a 4-0 lead.

The Bucs took a 5-0 lead in the seventh on three straight hits to start the inning. Freeman led off the frame with a single and Pratt doubled to right field – putting runners in scoring position with no outs. Niesman drove the first pitch he saw into right field for an RBI single to put the Bucs in front by five. Just a short time later, play was halted due to a lightning strike in the area right before 5:00 p.m. After waiting out the strong storms for roughly two hours, it was decided that play will resume tomorrow.

For more information on Buccaneer baseball, visit