JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (March 21, 2013) – The ETSU baseball team returns to Thomas Stadium this weekend as the Bucs host No. 26 Florida Gulf Coast in a three-game Atlantic Sun Conference series, beginning Friday night at 7:05 p.m.
GAME TIMES/PITCHING MATCHUPS
- Friday – 7:05 p.m. (Thomas Stadium)
RHP Griffin Krieg (2-0, 4.30 ERA) vs. RHP Ricky Knapp (4-0, 0.87 ERA)
- Saturday – 2:05 p.m. (Thomas Stadium)
RHP Kerry Doane (3-1, 2.03 ERA) vs. LHP Brandon Bixler (2-0, 0.56 ERA)
- Sunday – 1:05 p.m. (Thomas Stadium)
Both teams have yet to name their starter for the series finale.
LAST TIME OUT FOR THE BUCS
- The Bucs (12-6, 2-1 A-Sun) are coming off another one-run setback to Winthrop as the Eagles defeated ETSU, 3-2, on Wednesday night in Rock Hill, S.C.
- ETSU left 10 runners stranded and went 0-for-11 with runners in scoring position as the Bucs had the go-ahead run at second with one out in the ninth, but Eric Ruth earned the four-out save to secure the win for Winthrop.
- Senior Andrew Green (Powell, Tenn.) extended his hitting streak to nine straight games after going 2-for-4 with a double and run scored, while fellow senior Derek Niesman (Wellington, Fla.) moved his hitting streak to eight consecutive games as he reached base twice (one hit, one walk) and scored a run.
- Three Buccaneer pitchers held Winthrop to six hits, but Logan Rice (Erwin, Tenn.) suffered the loss after being charged with one run on two hits and tied a career high with four strikeouts.
ABOUT FLORIDA GULF COAST
- Friday marks Florida Gulf Coast’s first game since suffering an 8-6 loss to Ave Maria on Sunday afternoon in Fort Myers. The loss snapped a six-game winning streak as the 26th-ranked Eagles enter the weekend 13-4. This also marks the A-Sun opener for FGCU.
- The Eagles rank sixth nationally in WHIP (1.01), eighth in hits allowed per nine innings (6.59), and 11th in ERA (2.09). In addition, Ricky Knapp’s four wins rank 16th and his 0.87 ERA is 21st nationally.
- In the A-Sun, FGCU leads the conference in ERA and have tossed a league-leading five shutouts, while its .300 batting average is tied for second with ETSU.
- FGCU was tied with Mercer to win the conference championship in the preseason coaches poll.
- The Eagles lead the all-time series, 10-5, but the Bucs have won five of the last seven against FGCU.
- Green is hitting .425 (17-40) with a double, triple, home run, six runs scored and six RBIs in 10 games against the Eagles. In addition, Clinton Freeman (Jonesborough, Tenn.) has a .353 batting average (6-17) against FGCU.
- Senior Kerry Doane (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.) earned the win after tossing two scoreless innings of relief last season in the series-clinching game. Doane struck out four of the six FGCU hitters he faced.
LITTLE LEAGUE WEEKEND
- This weekend is Little League Weekend at Thomas Stadium. Children (13 and under) who wear their little league uniform receive free admission to any of the three games on the weekend.
- In conjunction to the “Little League Weekend” promotion, fans that send in photos of themselves or their children playing little league baseball may have the chance to see them appear on the scoreboard this weekend. Please e-mail the photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Live stats will be available for all three games this weekend via StatBroadcast by visiting ETSUBucs.com. Fans can access live stats on their computers, mobile devices or tablets.
- All three games this weekend will be broadcast live on WXSM-AM 640. Fans outside the Tri-Cities region can access WXSM online at http://www.640wxsm.com/ or you can listen to the games via your mobile device(s) by downloading the iHeart Radio application.
- Live updates will also be posted on Twitter by following @ETSUAthletics and @ETSU_Baseball.
- Single game tickets to ETSU baseball games are $10 for seats behind home plate and $5 for seats along the baselines. Tickets can be purchased at the stadium, online at ETSUBucs.com, or by calling (423) 439-3878.
- Come out to Thomas Stadium early and tailgate prior to ETSU baseball games this season. A designated tailgating area will be roped off in the parking lot where fans can enjoy a festive environment before the Bucs take the field.
- Click here for tailgating guidelines.
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
For more information on Buccaneer baseball, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the baseball link.