|Baseball » News » Schedule » Roster » Coaches » Statistics|
Bucs wrap up regular season this weekend at Thomas Stadium
Jacksonville (17-36, 8-17 A-Sun)
ETSU (30-22, 15-10 A-Sun)
5/16/2013 | Johnson City, Tenn. | Attendance: 511
Jacksonville (17-37, 8-18 A-Sun)
ETSU (31-22, 16-10 A-Sun)
5/17/2013 | Johnson City, Tenn. | Attendance: 552
Jacksonville (17-38, 8-19 A-Sun)
ETSU (32-22, 17-10 A-Sun)
5/18/2013 | Johnson City, Tenn. | Attendance: 555
Wednesday, May 15, 2013
ETSU, Jacksonville begin A-Sun series Thursday night
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (May 15, 2013) – The ETSU baseball team wraps up regular season play this weekend as the Bucs host Jacksonville in a three-game Atlantic Sun series beginning Thursday night at Thomas Stadium.
The Bucs (29-22, 14-10 A-Sun) are currently in fifth-place in the conference standings and sit three games back of league-leading Mercer (17-7), two games back of Florida Gulf Coast and North Florida (16-8) and one-game back of Stetson (15-9). ETSU can still finish as high as the three seed for the conference tournament, while a scenario can still be played out to where the Blue and Gold can earn a share of the A-Sun regular season crown.
A handful of events are in store for this weekend as its Senior Day and Alumni Weekend, while Saturday is also Faculty/Staff Appreciation Day. ETSU faculty and staff members who show their identification card at the gate on Saturday receive free admission, while seniors Derek Bushey (Richmond, Va.), Kerry Doane (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.), Andrew Green (Powell, Tenn.), Mason Hershey (Altoona, Pa.), Derek Niesman (Wellington, Fla.), and Alex Reynolds (Johnson City, Tenn.) will be honored with a pregame ceremony prior to first pitch on Saturday.
Thursday – 7:05 p.m. – Game No. 52
RHP Kerry Doane (11-1, 2.15) vs. RHP Alex McRae (3-7, 4.58)
Friday – 7:05 p.m. – Game No. 53
RHP Jimmy Nesselt (2-2, 4.40) vs. RHP Chris Anderson (7-5, 2.76)
Saturday – 1:05 p.m. – Game No. 54
TBA vs. TBA
LAST TIME OUT FOR THE BUCS
- ETSU dropped two of three games at No. 21 Mercer last weekend in Macon, Ga., but the Blue and Gold got solid efforts from starting pitchers Kerry Doane and Jimmy Nesselt (Plantation, Fla.). Doane – who was named A-Sun Pitcher of the Week on Monday – improved to 11-1 after guiding the Bucs to a 1-0 win in the series opener on Friday night. The senior-right hander struck out five and walked none, while tossing his fourth shutout and NCAA-best 10th complete game of the year. On Sunday, Nesselt allowed just two runs on five hits in six innings of work, but the Buccaneer offense was shutout for the second time in 2013 as the Bears took the rubber match, 2-0.
- Derek Niesman hit .417 (5-12) in the series to extend his hit streak to nine straight games, while Andrew Green has now reached base in 16 consecutive games dating back to April 20. In total, Green has hit safely in 15 games during this stretch, and Alex Reynolds has reached base safely in his last 14 conference games.
- Jacksonville has dropped 12 of its last 15 games and enters the weekend in a battle for the last spot in the conference tournament at 17-35, 8-16.
- The Dolphins have three players hitting over .300, while junior right-handed pitcher Chris Anderson is the ace of the staff. Anderson is 7-5 with a 2.76 ERA (29 ER/94.2 IP) in 13 starts this season, while senior infielder Jake Huxtable and junior catcher Braddock Rowe lead the club with .314 batting averages. Anderson also ranks 17th in the country with 92 strikeouts.
- Jacksonville is tied for the eighth and final spot for the conference tournament with USC Upstate. The Dolphins took two of three from the Spartans earlier this year in Jacksonville.
SERIES VS. JACKSONVILLE
- Jacksonville leads the all-time series, 14-8.
- Ten of the 22 games in the series have been decided by two runs or less, with ETSU going 5-5 in those contests.
- Clinton Freeman (Jonesborough, Tenn.) is hitting .357 (5-14) in four career games against the Dolphins, while Chris Riopedre (Miami, Fla.) went 3-for-9 with one double and two runs scored in last season’s series.
- All three games will be aired live on WXSM-AM 640. Fans outside the Tri-Cities region can access WXSM online at http://www.640wxsm.com/ or you can listen to the games via your mobile device(s) by downloading the iHeart Radio application.
- The games this weekend will also air live on A-Sun.TV for free.
- Live stats will be available for all three games this weekend via StatBroadcast by visiting ETSUBucs.com. Fans can access live stats on their computers, mobile devices or tablets.
- Live updates will also be posted on Twitter by following @ETSUAthletics and @ETSU_Baseball.
- Single game tickets to ETSU baseball games are $10 for reserved seats behind home plate and $5 for reserved seats along the baselines. Tickets can be purchased at the stadium, online at ETSUBucs.com, or by calling (423) 439-3878.
- Come out to Thomas Stadium early and tailgate prior to ETSU baseball games this season. A designated tailgating area will be roped off in the parking lot where fans can enjoy a festive environment before the Bucs take the field.
- Click here for tailgating guidelines.
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
For more information on Buccaneer baseball, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the baseball link.
TEAM INFO CENTER