JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Sept. 29, 2016) – Four different pitchers combined for 10 strikeouts, while junior catcher Hagen Owenby (Knoxville, Tenn.) belted a deep home run to straightaway center as the Gold Team rallied past by Blue, 6-5, in game one of the Blue/Gold World Series on Wednesday at Thomas Stadium.
Below are key highlights from game one of the Blue/Gold World Series…
- The Blue Team got on the board first as they plated a pair of two-out runs to go ahead, 2-0. Junior outfielder Aaron Maher (Brentwood, Tenn.) laced a two-out RBI single up the middle, while junior Caleb Longley (Cleveland, Tenn.) cracked a tower home run to left-center.
- Redshirt sophomore right-hander Daniel Sweeney (Johnson City, Tenn.) got the starting nod for the Blue team and gave his team three scoreless innings – retiring 9 of the 11 hitters he faced.
- The Gold Team started junior newcomer Drew Korzybski (Knoxville, Tenn.) – and after the home run to Longey – Korzybski sat down five of the final six hitters he faced.
- The Gold Team finally got on the board with a three-run fourth inning to take a 3-2 lead. Owenby’s bomb to center, which hit off the batter’s eye, highlighted the inning, while junior Christian Bailey (Kingsport, Tenn.) and Brock Beeler (Knoxville, Tenn.) scored later in the frame. Bailey worked a walk and sprinted home on Beeler’s RBI double to right-center, while the Buccaneer utility player came home on an RBI ground out by freshman Cade Gilbert (Ringgold, Ga.).
- The Blue Team tied it up at 3-3 in the top of the fifth when freshman Jackson Greer (Knoxville, Tenn.) doubled to the gap in right-center and later scored on a two-out RBI from Ethan Rice (Unicoi, Tenn.).
- The game remained tied at three through six innings until the Blue Team scratched across two runs in the eighth to regain a 5-3 lead. Freshman Nick Sainato (Madison, Ala.) drew a leadoff walk and came around to score on another RBI single from Rice, while Rice later scored on a two-out RBI single by redshirt junior Chris Cook (Kingsport, Tenn.).
- With the Gold Team down to its final six outs, they overcame a two-run deficit by scoring three runs in the bottom half of the inning to go up, 6-5. Junior Hunter Parker (Chattanooga, Tenn.) led off the inning with a single to left, and freshman Cullen Smith (Lebanon, Tenn.) and Owenby followed with singles of their own to load the bases with no outs. Senior Blake Rowlett (Clarksville, Tenn.) drove in Parker with a sacrifice fly to deep center, while Bailey laced an RBI single down the first base line to tie the game at five – leading to Beeler’s late-game heroics. Beeler drove in the eventual game-winning run by ripping a rocket single to left, making it 6-5.
- Senior right-hander Peyton Taylor (Kingsport, Tenn.) earned the win as he pitched the final 1.2 innings … Junior right-hander Logan Gentry (Kingsport, Tenn.) struck out five in three innings of relief for the Gold Team.
- Offensively, the Gold Team was led by two-hit games from Parker, Owenby and Beeler, while five different players drove in runs in the winning effort.
- Longley and Rice led the Blue Team with two hits each, while Maher scored two of the team’s five runs … Longley also drove in two runs.
- Right-hander Connor Bartow (Jonesborough, Tenn.) gave the Blue Team 2.1 scoreless innings.
Game Two of the Blue/Gold World Series is scheduled for Friday at 4:30 p.m., at Thomas Stadium. The game is free and open to the public.
For more information on Buccaneer baseball, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the baseball link.