Williams picks off two passes; Herink/Sexton throw for touchdowns
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (March 25, 2016) – Freshman defensive back Domenique Williams (Charlotte, N.C.) picked off two passes – including one for a touchdown – and quarterbacks Austin Herink (Cleveland, Tenn.) and Nick Sexton (Seymour, Tenn.) both connected on touchdown passes as the ETSU football team wrapped up its second week of spring practice with a scrimmage on Thursday night inside the MSHA Athletic Center.
The Bucs – who were scheduled to scrimmage at Citizens Bank Stadium in Elizabethton on Thursday night – moved the scrimmage into the Dome due to inclement weather that hit the Tri-Cities region. The scrimmage in Elizabethton, which is presented by Appalachian Orthopaedics, was rescheduled to next Thursday (March 31) at 6:30 p.m.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- As a unit, the Bucs totaled 67 tackles (10 for a loss), five sacks and had the two interceptions from Williams … The defense also stopped the offense on a goal line situation as Austin Gatewood (Ooltewah, Tenn.) and Ferguierson Charles (Ft. Myers, Fla.) combined for a tackle at the one-yard line on third down, while newcomer Paul Hunter (Denton, Texas) stepped up on the fourth down run as he stuffed Jajuan Lankford (South Pittsburg, Tenn.) behind the line of scrimmage.
- To go with his two interceptions (84 return yards), Williams also finished with four tackles … The Charlotte, N.C. native – who ranked ninth among FCS players in combined return yards (850) last season – picked off a pass from each Herink and Sexton.
- Freshman Christian Gibson (Bristol, Tenn.) paced the Buccaneer defense with five tackles, while red-shirt freshman Trey Quillin (New Albany, Ohio) was one of five players to record a sack … Quillin finished with three tackles (two for loss) and had one sack.
- Joining Quillin with a sack were red-shirt sophomore defensive lineman Royce Turnbull (Charlotte, N.C.), freshman defensive lineman Nasir Player (Columbia, S.C.), red-shirt freshman linebacker River Boruff (Sparta, Tenn.) and freshman linebacker Matt Williams (Newton, N.C.).
- Turnbull also added three tackles, while Tavian Lott (D’Lo, Miss.), Jack Jones (Bristol, Tenn.), Spencer Brien (Gatlinburg, Tenn.) and Gatewood all registered four tackles.
- As a group, the offense ran 61 plays for 267 yards (180 passing/87 rushing), and had two passing and one rushing touchdowns.
- Herink and Sexton combined to complete 16 of their 20 passes for 173 yards and two touchdowns … Herink was 7-of-9 for 83 yards with one touchdown and one interception, while Sexton went 9-of-11 for 90 yards with one touchdown and one interception.
- Herink – who completed his first five passes – found red-shirt freshman Hank Black (Knoxville, Tenn.) for a 14-yard touchdown on the opening drive, while Sexton hit freshman Jack Shoulders (Nashville, Tenn.) in the back of the end zone for a 24-yard score.
- Black led all receivers with four receptions, which totaled 30 yards and now has eight catches for 152 yards and two touchdowns in two scrimmages this spring. Shoulders ended with two catches for 44 yards and also had one run for 13 yards.
- Adam Mitchell (Bristol, Tenn.) and Anthony Spagnoletti (Bealeton, Va.) both recorded three catches each, while eight different players registered a catch for the Blue and Gold.
- Red-shirt freshman Tony Drew (Nashville, Tenn.) led all running backs with 30 yards (four carries) on the ground, and fellow red-shirt freshman Matt Thompson (Morristown, Tenn.) capped off the scrimmage with a four-yard touchdown run … Thompson – who transferred from The Citadel – had six rushing attempts for 22 yards on Thursday night.
- Freshman kicker Landon Kunak (Spartanburg, S.C.) – who made both extra-point attempts and one field goal last weekend – nailed a 42-yard field goal inside the Dome on Thursday.
Following Thursday night’s scrimmage, head coach Carl Torbush gave his thoughts on what he saw from his team.
Click here to watch postgame comments.
REMAINING SPRING SCHEDULE
- Monday, March 28 – Practice #9
- Tuesday, March 29 – Practice #10
- Thursday, March 31 – Practice #11 (Scrimmage at Citizens Bank Stadium in Elizabethton; 6:30 p.m.)
- Monday, April 4 – Practice #12
- Tuesday, April 5 – Practice #13
- Thursday, April 7 – Practice #14
- Friday, April 8 – Lettermen Golf Tournament (1 p.m. at Pine Oaks Golf Club)
- Saturday, April 9 – Appalachian Orthopaedics Women’s Football Clinic (8:30 a.m. – Noon inside the Dome); MSHA Spring Game; 1 p.m. at Kermit Tipton Stadium; Postgame Appalachian Orthopaedics Youth Clinic
Please note, practices and scrimmages are open to the general public
For more information on Buccaneer football, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the football page.