Lipscomb's Burgason, Slater sink Bucs in overtime, 85-84
Saturday, January 30, 2010

            JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Jan. 30, 2010) - Lipscomb guard Josh Slater scored a career high 35 points and fellow guard Jordan Burgason hit a jumper with four seconds left in overtime to give the Bisons a hard fought 85-84 overtime victory over the ETSU men's basketball team in Atlantic Sun Conference action Saturday afternoon at the ETSU/MSHA Athletic Center.


            Slater and Burgason, who pitched in 13 points, were joined in double figures by forward Adnan Hodzic, who posted a double-double with 22 points and 12 rebounds. The Bisons' win avenged the Bucs' victory over Lipscomb just over a week ago, when ETSU guard Jarvis Jones (Memphis) hit a last second 3-pointer in regulation to lift the Bucs to a 71-69 win in Nashville.


            "You have to give them credit because they made some big shots late," said ETSU head coach Murry Bartow, whose team falls to 11-11 overall, 7-4 in A-Sun play. "(Josh) Slater and (Adnan) Hodzic are two of the best players in this league and they showed that tonight. But I really feel like our guys battled hard and a game like that can go either way. I see a lot of good numbers on the box score for us, but now we just have to regroup and get ready to go back to work for Belmont on Monday night."

            Lipscomb's win overshadowed some quality performances for the Bucs, as junior forward Tommy Hubbard (Boston) posted his 10th double-double of the year with 22 points and 13 rebounds, while sophomore forward Isiah Brown (Miami) had his second double-double of the year with 16 points and 10 boards. They were joined in double figures by junior guard Justin Tubbs (Trussville, Ala.), who finished with 16 points, while fellow junior guard Micah Williams (Manchester) had 13.


            The Bucs led for most of the game, though they never led by more than nine points. However, that largest lead of the contest came with just 6:17 left in the game. The Bucs built that lead thanks to an 8-2 offensive spurt that was capped by an unlikely 3-pointer from 6-foot-8 freshman forward Lukas Poderis (Port Richey, Fla.) which made it 67-58 in favor of the Bucs.


However, that lead was short-lived, as Lipscomb answered with a 12-0 run of its own over the next two minutes to take a 70-67 lead with 4:09 left in the contest. From there, the Bucs pulled back ahead by two at 72-70 on a layup by Hubbard with 3:09 left. From there, Slater hit two free throws to tie it at 72, followed by 1-of-2 trips at the line for both ETSU's Jocolby Davis (Meridian, Miss.) and Slater that left it 73-73 with just under a minute left.


Both teams had opportunities to take the lead in the final seconds, but the game went to overtime when Slater's 3-pointer with three seconds left in regulation missed the mark.


            In overtime, ETSU jumped ahead by five points at 78-73, but Lipscomb responded to tie it at 80 with a 7-2 run. From there Hubbard hit a pair of free throws followed by a 3-pointer from Burgason that made it 83-82 in favor of Lipscomb with 29 seconds left. Hubbard responded once again with a layup to give the Bucs the lead at 84-83 with 19 seconds left, but then Burgason answered with the game-winning jumper from just inside the arc with four seconds on the clock.


            Hubbard took a 3-pointer at the buzzer but the shot missed the mark.

            ETSU shot 46 percent from the floor, while Lipscomb hit on 43 percent from outside. The Bucs held the edge on the boards 47-40, and both teams finished with 16 assists each.


            The Bucs return to action in the final game of a three-game home stand Monday against Belmont. The game is set for 7 p.m. inside the Dome.