JONESBOROUGH, Tenn. (Oct. 10, 2013) – Coming off its first fall tournament win of the season, the ETSU men’s golf team returns to action this weekend as the Bucs host the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate at Blackthorn Club.
LAST TIME OUT FOR THE BUCS
- ETSU won its first tournament of the fall as the Bucs captured the team title at the Wolfpack Intercollegiate on Tuesday. The Blue and Gold overcame a three-shot deficit to defeat UNC Greensboro by 11 strokes. The Bucs registered a team score of 21-under-par 843, while sophomore Gudmundur Kristjansson (Reykjavik, Iceland) finished second.
- Kristjansson finished with a score of 11-under-par 205 for the tournament, marking his best showing as a Buccaneer. The Icelander fired a 6-under 66 in Monday’s second round, resulting in his lowest round of his collegiate career.
- Junior Rhys Pugh (Pontypridd, Wales), who recorded a hole-in-one in Monday’s second round, finished fifth at 5-under-par 211, while sophomore Chris Hickman (Centreville, Md.) posted his best tournament performance since joining ETSU last fall. Hickman tied for eighth at 1-under-par 215. Fellow sophomore Adrian Meronk (Wroclaw, Poland) shot even-par 216 and tied for 11th.
ABOUT THE TOURNAMENT
- Fourteen schools and a handful of participants will play 54 holes over a three-day span on the par-72, 7,147-yard course layout.
- Each team will begin play from the first hole on Friday and Saturday at 8:30 a.m., while Sunday’s final round will have teams begin from No. 1 and No. 10. The teams who start on No. 1 begin at 8:30 a.m. on Sunday and those who start at No. 10 begin at 9 a.m.
- Missouri returns to defend its title, while seven former Bank of Tennessee team champions are included in the 2013 field.
ABOUT THE FIELD
- Joining ETSU and Missouri in the 14-team field are Army, Coastal Carolina, Furman, Kent State, Memphis, Penn State, Tennessee, Villanova, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, and UNC Wilmington.
- Half of the field are currently ranked in the top-50 of the Golfweek/Sagarin rankings, including the Bucs who moved up to 50th following Tuesday’s win. ETSU is joined by No. 13 Virginia Tech, No. 15 Virginia, No. 19 Kent State, No. 30 Memphis, No. 39 Missouri, and No. 43 Tennessee.
- Individually, five players are ranked in the top-50 of the Golfweek rankings – Memphis’ Lars Van Meijel (No. 5), Virginia Tech’s Scott Vincent (No. 8), Virginia’s Denny McCarthy (No. 21), Kent State’s Taylor Pendrith (No. 41) and Tennessee’s Brandon Rodgers (No. 45).
- Former Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate champions in this year’s field include Missouri (2012), Kent State (2011), Virginia (2010), Tennessee (2004, 2006, 2009), Coastal Carolina (2008), Virginia Tech (2007), and Wake Forest (2002).
- The Bucs will go with the same lineup used this past week in Raleigh. ETSU’s lineup features Pugh, Hickman, Meronk, Kristjansson, and Mateusz Gradecki (Oborniki Śląskie, Poland).
- Junior Tom Heggarty (Cheshire, England) will play as a participant for the Blue and Gold. Heggartytees off at 12:20 p.m. on Friday.
- The Bucs tee off Friday morning at 10:10, and will be paired with Kent State and Virginia.
ABOUT THE COURSE
- Blackthorn Club Golf Course was designed by Arthur Hills, twice named Golf Digest’s “Architect of the Year” and one of the top five course designers in the country. Hills drapes his courses around a simple idea--to capture the beauty of a place, not alter it.
- Across the graceful landscape of Blackthorn Club, Hills has drawn on this same sensibility to lay out a masterpiece of hole-to-hole variety----what he calls “a golfer’s delight.” Like every great course, Blackthorn Club gives the golfer drama and excitement. You encounter water on seven holes, magnificent views and heart-pounding approach shots to the greens. For instance, hole #8, where golfers can play “safe” to the right side of Boones Creek or try to carry the green in two by flying over the water twice.
- Live scoring will be available by following along on Golfstat.
- Twitter updates can be accessed by following @ETSUAthletics as well as using the hashtag #ETSUMGolf.
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
For more information on Buccaneer men’s golf, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the men’s golf page.