Thursday, October 17, 2013
ALPHARETTA, Ga. (Oct. 17, 2013) – The ETSU men’s golf team returns to action this weekend as the Bucs gear up for the U.S. Collegiate Championship, which begins Friday at The Golf Club of Georgia – Lakeside Course.
LAST TIME OUT FOR THE BUCS
- ETSU is coming off a fourth-place finish at the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate, which concluded Sunday afternoon at The Blackthorn Club. The Bucs’ fourth-place showing was their best finish in the tournament since placing second in 2008.
- Junior Rhys Pugh (Pontypridd, Wales) recorded his second straight top-10 finish as the Buccaneer golfer finished tied for eighth at 6-under-par 210. Pugh fired a 6-under 66 in the first round to tie his lowest career score at ETSU, while ending the tournament with consecutive rounds of even-par 72.
- Overall, the Blue and Gold shot 12-under 852 (277-291-284) for the tournament, while No. 15 Virginia rallied to win the championship at 22-under 842, marking the second lowest score in the 16-year history of the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate.
- After winning the Wolfpack Intercollegiate and placing fourth at the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate, the Bucs moved up to 42nd in the latest Golfweek rankings.
ABOUT THE TOURNAMENT
- Often referred to as “the Masters of college golf,” the USCC has in eight years become the most prestigious regular season event on the schedule and is regularly voted on by the players as their favorite tournament.
- The USCC is unique among all college golf tournaments, with Corporate Skyboxes around the 18th green, caddies for each player and mandatory long pants for the competitors. The tournament is also carried through a live webcast for the final two rounds. Additionally, there are no gallery ropes, with fans allowed to walk in the fairway behind the players, in the style of the Ryder Cup or Walker Cup Matches.
- The tournament, which features 15 teams, will be played Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Georgia Tech is the tournament host.
- Each team will begin play from No. 1, starting at 9 a.m. Friday and Saturday, and 8:20 a.m. on Sunday.
- Former team champions include: Clemson (2006 and 2009), Georgia (2007), University of South California (2008), Georgia Tech (2010 and 2012), and UCLA (2011).
- Among the USCC’s Individual Champions are Patrick Rodgers of Stanford (2012), Georgia Tech’s James White (2010) and Webb Simpson of Wake Forest (2007). Rodgers returns to defend his title.
- Joining ETSU and Georgia Tech are Auburn, Clemson, Duke, Iowa, Kent State, Oklahoma State, Stanford, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, Virginia, Wake Forest, and Washington.
- Twelve of the 15 teams are currently ranked in the top-50 of the Golfweek rankings, including five in the top-10 – No. 2 Texas A&M, No. 3 Georgia Tech, No. 7 Oklahoma State, No. 8 Washington, and No. 10 Stanford. Meanwhile, other ranked teams include No. 14 Virginia, No. 15 UCLA, No. 18 Kent State, No. 21 Clemson, No. 24 Auburn, and No. 39 Southern Cal. ETSU moved from 50th to 42nd in the latest rankings.
- Individually, 11 golfers are ranked in the top-30 in the Golfweek rankings.
ABOUT THE COURSE
- The Golf Club of Georgia’s Lakeside Course plays 7,017 yards and is a par-72.
- The Lakeside Course was awarded “Best New Private Course in America” in 1991 by the industry’s premier publication, Golf Digest. It is a traditional, modern layout with demanding, firm and fast greens. With a back nine playing around scenic Lake Windward, the Lakeside Course challenges the senses and the short game. In 1999, Golf Digest honored Lakeside's par-5, 607-yard 11th hole as one of “America’s Best 99 Golf Holes.”
- Joining Pugh in ETSU’s lineup this weekend are sophomores Adrian Meronk (Wroclaw, Poland), Gudmundur Kristjansson (Reykjavik, Iceland), and Chris Hickman (Centreville, Md.), and freshman Mateusz Gradecki (Oborniki Śląskie, Poland).
- The Bucs are scheduled to tee off Friday at 9 a.m., while going out at 11:30 a.m., Saturday.
- On Friday, ETSU is paired with Auburn and Clemson, while the Bucs are grouped with Oklahoma State and Clemson on Saturday.
- Live video will be offered on Saturday and Sunday by visiting TheUSCC.org.
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
For more information on Buccaneer men’s golf, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the men’s golf page.
|Copyright ©2015 East Tennessee State Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.ETSUBucs.com|