BRASELTON, Ga. (April 20, 2013) – Coming off its first tournament win this season, the ETSU men’s golf team looks to carry the momentum into the Atlantic Sun Championship, which begins Sunday morning at The Legends Golf Club in Braselton, Ga.
LAST TIME OUT FOR THE BUCS
- The Bucs won the Coca-Cola Wofford Intercollegiate for the third time in the last four years on Tuesday at the Country Club of Spartanburg. ETSU overcame an eight-shot deficit as the Blue and Gold rallied past Wofford in the final round to edge out the Terriers by two strokes.
- ETSU posted its lowest three-round score of the season by finishing at 11-under-par 853, marking the Bucs’ first team tournament win since April 2011.
- Sophomore Rhys Pugh (Pontypridd, Wales) received all-tournament team honors after tying for third at 5-under-par 211 (72-68-71). Pugh – who recorded his best collegiate finish and three-round score – received his first career A-Sun Golfer of the Week honor on Wednesday.
- Overall, the Bucs had four players finish in the top-13 as Scott Gibson (Southerness, Scotland) tied for fifth, Adrian Meronk (Wroclaw, Poland) tied for ninth, and Chris Hickman (Centreville, Md.) tied for 13th. Meronk generated a score of 2-under 214 and Hickman played the tournament at 1-under 215, resulting in the lowest three-round scores by both Buccaneer freshmen this season.
ABOUT THE TOURNAMENT
- The winner of this three-day tournament received the A-Sun’s automatic bid to the NCAA Regional, which will be contested May 16-18.
- ETSU is eyeing its third A-Sun Championship as the Bucs brought home the title in 2007 and 2010. Both those championships were won in The Peach State as the 2007 title was claimed at Sanctuary Cove in Waverly, Ga., while the 2010 championship was held at The Legends Golf Club.
- Since joining the A-Sun, the Bucs have won the individual championship four times from 2007-10. Seamus Power, a two-time A-Sun champion, was the last individual to hoist the trophy back in 2010.
- North Florida won the 2012 championship, while Stetson’s Sam Ryder captured the individual title, but he won’t be back to defend his title after graduating last spring.
- The Bucs finished second last year and were four shots back of the Ospreys. UNF won the title at 11-over 875. Scott Gibson tied for seventh at 5-over 221 and Rhys Pugh carded a 9-over 225 to finish tied for 11th at the 2012 conference championship.
- All 10 conference schools will be battling for the A-Sun crown this week in Georgia.
- North Florida, the defending champion, is currently ranked 18th in the latest Golfweek ratings, while Kennesaw State (52), Mercer (73), and ETSU (76) are all in the top-80.
- The Ospreys have three golfers ranked in the top-40 of the Golfweek individual rankings as senior Sean Dale – two-time A-Sun Player of the Year – is the second on the list. Dale’s teammates MJ Maguire (No. 29) and Kevin Phelan (No. 39) are the other UNF golfers in the top-40. Meanwhile, Kennesaw State’s Jimmy Beck ranks 48th on the list.
- The Bucs and Florida Gulf Coast feature strong groups of underclassmen as ETSU’s freshmen class ranks fifth and the Eagles’ rookie class is 20th, according to Golfstat rankings.
- ETSU will send out the same lineup the Blue and Gold have used all season. The squad consists of two sophomores – Rhys Pugh and Scott Gibson – and freshmen Adrian Meronk, Chris Hickman, and Gudmundur Kristjansson (Reykjavik, Iceland).
- The Bucs are paired up with North Florida and Kennesaw State and tee off at 8:50 a.m.
- Live scoring will be provided for the A-Sun Championship via Golfstat.com.
- Click here to access the A-Sun Men’s Golf Championship page.
- For complete results and recaps, visit ETSUBucs.com at the end of each round.
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
For more information on Buccaneer men’s golf, visit ETSUBucs.com.