Kristjansson eyes second straight win at The Old White TPC Course
WHITE SULPHER SPRINGS, W. Va. (April 10, 2016) – The ETSU men’s golf team and senior Gudmundur Kristjansson (Reykjavik, Iceland) look to defend their titles at this week’s Greenbrier Invitational, which begins on Monday morning at The Old White TPC Course in White Sulpher Springs, W. Va.
LAST TIME OUT FOR THE BUCS
- The Bucs are coming off a sixth-place finish at last weekend’s Mason Rudolph Championship.
- Junior Mateusz Gradecki (Oborniki Śląskie, Poland) led the Blue and Gold at the Vanderbilt Legends Club as he shot even-par 213 (73-69-71) en route to finishing tied for seventh … Gradecki earned his first ever Southern Conference Golfer of the Week honor following his solid play in Franklin, Tenn.
- Kristjansson and fellow senior Adrian Meronk (Wrclaw, Poland) both finished tied for 14th at 5-over-par 218 … Meronk – who was named SoCon Golfer of the Month last week – had a run of seven straight top-10 finishes come to an end last weekend.
- Meronk enters the week ranked No. 22 via Golfstat, while the Bucs are No. 54.
ABOUT THE TOURNAMENT
- The teams will play 36 holes on Monday and the final 18 holes on Tuesday with a shotgun start beginning at 9 a.m. each day … The lowest four scores from a five-member team count toward the team totals.
- The course setup at The Old White TPC Course is par-70, 7,287-yards.
- This marks the third year of the tournament with ETSU claiming both the team and individual titles in 2015.
- The Bucs won the weather-shortened event last season by shooting a 6-over-par 566, while Kristjansson carded a 3-under-par 137 to earn medalist honors for the second time of his collegiate career.
- Marshall and Bowling Green are co-hosting the tournament.
Below is the tournament field for the 2016 Greenbrier Invitational…
- Bowling Green
- Eastern Kentucky
- Morehead State
- Northern Kentucky
- Old Dominion
- St. Bonaventure
- Western Carolina
- William & Mary
- Youngstown State
- ETSU is the highest ranked team in the field as the Bucs enter the week at No. 54 via Golfstat, while four teams are ranked in the top-130.
- Joining Meronk, Kristjansson and Gradecki in ETSU’s lineup this week is sophomore Cayman Ratliff (Kingsport, Tenn.) and freshman Geuntae Kim (Daegu, South Korea).
- The Buccaneer lineup features two seniors, one junior, one sophomore and one freshman.
- ETSU is paired with Bowling Green and Marshall on Monday. The groups tee off from holes 1-thru-3 beginning at 9 a.m.
- Live scoring for all three rounds will be available via BirdieFire. Click here to access live scoring.
- Full recaps with scores will be available on ETSUBucs.com following each round.
For more information on Buccaneer men’s golf, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the men’s golf page.