ETSU men's soccer falls to Appalachian State in inaugural season opener, 3-1
Friday, August 29, 2008

JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Aug. 29, 2008) - The ETSU men's soccer team dropped its inaugural season opener to Appalachian State Friday at a sold out Summers-Taylor Stadium, 3-1.


"It was very encouraging to see how well we can compete against a Division I program that has been around for a long time," said head coach Scott Calabrese. "These guys are young and being in their first game you could tell they were nervous. You have to credit Appalachian State for taking advantage of that, but I think after the first 20 minutes of the game we took over and really controlled the game."


The Mountaineers took an early 1-0 advantage in the 3rd minute as Sean Dreybus scored off of a Arie Muniz shot. ASU didn't waste any time scoring again in the 15th minute as Arie Muniz knocked the rebound from a Sean Dreybus shot into the back of the net to give the Mountaineers a 2-0 lead.


Junior Kyle Franklin (Maryville, Tenn.) got the Bucs on the board in the 23rd minute with a powerful shot that deflected off of a Mountaineer defender into the goal to make the score 2-1.


The Bucs had a couple scoring opportunities late in the half, but couldn't convert as ASU took a 2-1 lead into the break.


In the second half, Dreybus added another goal for the Mountaineers scoring in the 63rd minute as he headed the ball past the outstretched ETSU keeper to extend the ASU lead to 3-1.


Sophomore Andrew Brown (Montego Bay, Jamaica) had a breakaway late in the second half, but ASU keeper Collin Taylor made an incredible save to preserve the two goal lead for the Mountaineers.


"The guys showed a lot of heart and fight," Calabrese said. "Even when we were down 3-1, we were still in the game. Our guys will be able to take a lot of confidence from this game. If we learn from our mistakes and come out playing like we did today for most of the game we will do well."


The Bucs outshot the Mountaineers 21-12 with 11 of the 21 shots coming on goal. Franklin led ETSU offensively with six shots, including five on goal. James Holt (Murfreesboro, Tenn.) led the Bucs defensively tallying five saves.


The sellout crowd of 1,311 is a Summers-Taylor Stadium record, as the 850 seat grandstand was filled to capacity, with the overflow crowd seated on the east side hill.


"Our guys really feed off of the crowd, especially late in the game," Calabrese said. "I really want to thank our fans for showing their support of ETSU soccer. I think the atmosphere that we had today will be an advantage for us throughout the season."


ETSU (0-1) is back in action Sunday at 2 p.m., heading to Spartanburg, S.C. to take on Wofford in a non-conference match. Please visit for more information on men's soccer or any of the other Buccaneer athletic teams.