Johnson City, Tenn. (March 26, 2002) - The 53rd-ranked East Tennessee State's men's tennis team earned a big Southern Conference victory Friday at the Memorial Center against #70 UNC Greensboro. The Bucs won 5-2 in a tough match, handing the Spartans their first SoCon loss of the season. ETSU improves to 7-5 overall and 3-0 in the Southern Conference while UNC Greensboro drops to 12-3 overall and 5-1 in the conference.
The Bucs started the match by taking the doubles point 2-1 from the Spartans. The Buc team of Pablo Sahagun (Cuernavaca, Mexico) and Alejandro Salazar (Arequipa, Peru) won the No. 2 match from the Spartan team of Marcio Torres and Jason Varela, 8-5. To secure the doubles point, Marcos Pavlovich(Otamendi, Argentina) and Roberto Fernandez (Cuernavaca, Mexico) took the No. 1 match, 8-6, by defeating Paul Goode and Tonly Mule. In the No. 3 match, Moises Serrano (Bucaramanga, Colombia) and Diego Iglesias (Mar del Plata, Argentina) lost to Bo McWhorter and Tanner Haddon, 9-8.
In singles action, the Bucs did not off to a good start, losing five of their first sets. But Pavlovich starting things off with a win over Mule, 1-6, 6-1, 6-4, in the No. 1 match. It took Fernandez two sets to defeat Goode but the second set was a tough one. Fernandez won 6-3, 7-6 over Goode. In the No. 4 spot, Iglesias scored 6-7, 6-2, 6-1 on Varela to clinch the team win for the Bucs. Sahagun put icing on the cake by defeating Torres 6-7, 6-4, 7-5 at the No. 3 position. In two tough losses, Salazar lost 7-5, 6-3 to Haddon and Serrano lost 7-6, 6-7, 6-2 to Hansson.
"This was a tough, hard-fought win," said head coach Dave Mullins, "I am proud of these guys for laying it all out. There were no easy matches and the losses were tough ones. This gives us momentum in the conference and for thetough teams we will be playing this week."
The Bucs go on the road this weekend to take on three tough opponents, #54 Winthrop, Davidson and Charlotte. ETSU plays Winthrop on March 28th, Davidson on March 29th and Charlotte on March 30th.
UNC Greensboro, ETSU
1. Marcos Pavlovich (ETSU) def. Tonly Mule (UNCG) 1-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Roberto Fernandez (ETSU) def. Paul Goode (UNCG) 6-3, 7-6
3. Pablo Sahagun (ETSU) def. Marcio Torres (UNCG) 6-7, 6-4, 7-5
4. Diego Iglesias (ETSU) def. Jason Varela (UNCG) 6-7, 6-2, 6-1
5. Tanner Haddon (UNCG) def. Alejandro Salazar (ETSU) 7-5, 6-3
6. #136 Niklas Hansson(UNCG) def. Moises Serrano (ETSU) 7-6, 6-7, 6-2
1. Pavlovich/Fernandez (ETSU) def. Goode/Mule (UNCG) 8-6
2. Sahagun/Salazar (ETSU) def. Torres/Varela (UNCG) 8-5
3. McWhorter/Haddon (UNCG) def. Serrano/Iglesias (ETSU) 9-8
UNC Greensboro (12-2, 5-0 SoCon)
ETSU (6-5, 2-0 SoCon)