Johnson City, Tenn. (March 22, 2002) - The 53rd-ranked East Tennessee State's men's tennis team improves to 6-4 on the season after defeating Tennessee Tech, 5-2, in the Memorial Center Friday afternoon.
In doubles competition, the Bucs took the point from Tennessee Tech by winning two matches. Marcos Pavlovich (Otamendi, Argentina) and Roberto Fernandez (Cuernavaca, Mexico) won a tough No. 1 match, 9-7, over Tech's Gernot Fischer and Razvan Ilie. Simon Tremblay and Luis Aguerrevere won the No. 2 spot, 8-6, over ETSU's Alejandro Salazar (Arequipa, Peru) and Pablo Sahagun (Cuernavaca, Mexico). The third match went to the Bucs when Moises Serrano (Bucaramanga, Colombia) and Diego Iglesias (Mar del Plata, Argentina) defeated William Chappell and Piotr Wawrzyniak, 8-3.
"The doubles really helped us," said head coach Dave Mullins, "We got momentum after the doubles and had really good first sets."
Those good first sets helped the Bucs win four singles matches to take the match. At No. 1, Pavlovich defeated Fischer in two sets, 6-1, 6-4. Sahagun won over Tremblay, 6-2 and 6-3, in the No. 2 spot. Fernandez won his No. 3 match, 6-3 and 7-5, over Ilie. At No. 4, Wzwrzyniak scored for Tech by defeating Salazar in a long, tough bout. Iglesias continues his winning ways by defeating Aguerrevere, 6-4, 6-2. Chappell scored Tech's other point by downing Serrano, 6-2, 6-4.
"It was a solid effort today," says Coach Mullins, "I am proud of these guys and hopefully we can build on this for tomorrow."
On Saturday, the men will host Charleston Southern at 3:00 p.m. outdoors at the ETSU Tennis Center.
Tennessee Tech 2, ETSU 5
1. Marcos Pavlovich (ETSU) def. Gernot Fischer (TTU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Pablo Sahagun (ETSU) def. Simon Tremblay (TTU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Roberto Fernandez (ETSU) def. Razvan Ilie (TTU) 6-3, 7-5
4. Piotr Wzwrzyniak (TTU) def. Alejandro Salazar(ETSU) 7-6 (4), 6-7 (4), 7-6 (5)
5. Diego Iglesias (ETSU) def. Luis Aguerrevere (TTU) 6-4, 6-2
6. William Chappell (TTU) def. Moises Serrano (ETSU) 6-2, 6-4
1. Pavlovich/Fernandez (ETSU) def. Fischer/Ilie (TTU) 9-7
2. Aguerrevere/Tremblay (TTU) def. Sahagun/Salazar (ETSU) 8-6
3. Serrano/Iglesias (ETSU) def. Chappell/Wawrzyniak (TTU) 8-3
Tennessee Tech (7-9)