Johnson City, Tenn. (February 17, 2002) - The 75th-ranked East Tennessee State University men's tennis team won for the second time in the same day on Sunday afternoon by downing the Citadel Bulldogs 6-1.
The doubles competition was very tough. Marcos Pavlovich (Otamendi, Argentina) and Diego Iglesias (Mar del Plata, Argentina) edged the Citadel's Matt Stubbs and John Williams 9-8(4) to win the No. 1 position. Roberto Fernandez (Cuernavaca, Mexico) and Pablo Sahagun (Cuernavaca, Mexico) took the No. 2 match 8-1 over Ben Fortune and David Scates. The Bulldogs did pull out a doubles win when Citadel's Lawrence Tere and John Doughtery defeated ETSU's Alejandro Salazar (Arequipa, Peru) and Federico Ochoa (Manizales, Colombia).
In singles action, Stubbs defeated Pavlovich in two tough sets, 6-2 and 6-3, to win in the No. 1 position. Sahagun finished Fortune in two sets, 6-3 and 6-1, in the No. 2 spot. Salazar struggled in his first set against Tere but came back to win in three sets, 4-6, 6-3 and 6-1. Citadel's Doughtery fell to Fernandez, 6-1 and 6-1. Iglesias continues his singles win streak by defeating Scates, 6-1 and 6-1. Serrano won his second match of the season with a win over Sebastian Padron, 6-1 and 6-1.
Citadel - 1, ETSU - 6
1) Marcos Pavlovich/Diego Iglesias (ETSU) def. Matt Stubbs/John Williams (Citadel) 9-8(4)
2) Roberto Fernandez/Pablo Sahagun (ETSU) def. Ben Fortune/David Scates (Citadel) 8-1
3) Lawrence Tere/John Doughtery (Citadel) def. Alejandro Salazar/Federico Ochoa (ETSU) 9-8(3)
1) Sebastian Padron (Citadel) def. Marcos Pavlovich (ETSU) 6-2, 6-3
2) Pablo Sahagun (ETSU) def. Ben Fortune (Citadel) 6-3, 6-1
3) Alejandro Salazar (ETSU) def. Lawrence Tere (Citadel) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
4) Roberto Fernandez (ETSU) def. John Doughtery (Citadel) 6-1, 6-1
5) Diego Iglesias (ETSU) def. David Scates (Citadel) 6-1, 6-1
6) Moises Serrano (ETSU) def. Sebastian Padron (Citadel) 6-1, 6-1