CHARLESTON, SC - Number two seeded East Tennessee State defeats the closely ranked number three seeded Furman University, 4-1, in the third round of the Southern Conference Men's Championships at Donald C. Bunch Courts located at The Citadel.
East Tennessee State University pulled out in front winning the first two doubles matches for the doubles point. In the No. 1 seed, East Tennessee State's Marcos Pavlovich (Otamendi, Argentina) / Alejandro Salazar (Arequipa, Peru) defeated Patrick Fillnow / James Cameron, 8-5. In the second seed doubles match, Moises Serrano (Bucaramanga, Colombia) / Diego Iglesias (Mar del Plata, Argentina) def. Furman's Andrew Rodgers / Ben Pauluhn, 8-3. In the third match-up of the doubles point, Furman's Chris Henderson / Allen Simmons defeated Fernando Fiuri (Villa Maria, Argentina) / Federico Ochoa (Manizales, Colombia) 8-6.
On the singles side of the court, East Tennessee State dominated the court with three wins to Furman's lone victory; at No. 1 seed Pavlovich powerfully defeated Furman's Cameron, 6-3, 6-2. On the No. 2 seeded match-up proved that East Tennessee State's Salazar defeated Henderson 6-3, 7-6 (6), in a hard fought battle. East Tennessee State claimed another win by the play of Fiuri defeating Fillnow 6-4, 6-1. Furman took the No. 5 seed with Simmons defeating Serrano 6-2, 6-2. The final two games were not decided, however, East Tennessee State University was leading in match No. 3 by a score of 2-6, 6-4, 3-2 by the play of Rogers over Iglesias.
The other DNF was in match No. 6 between Francisco Diaz (Weston, Fla.) from East Tennessee State University leading McCarthy, 7-6, 2-1.
East Tennessee State University will play for its second consecutive SoCon tournament championship, when the Bucs take on #1College of Charleston tomorrow at 1:00 pm at the Earle Tennis Center on The Citadel campus.
#2 East Tennessee State University defeated #3 Furman, 4-1
1. Marcos Pavlovich (ETSU) def. James Cameron (FUR) 6-3, 6-2
2. Alejandro Salazar (ETSU) def. Chris Henderson (FUR) 6-3, 7-6 (6)
3. Andrew Rogers (FUR) led Diego Iglesias (ETSU) 2-6, 6-4, 3-2 DNF
4. Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) def. Patrick Fillnow (FUR) 6-4, 6-1
5. Allen Simmons (FUR) def. Moises Serrano (ETSU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Ryan McCarthy (FUR) led Fransisco Diaz (ETSU) 7-6, 2-1 DNF
1. Marcos Pavlovich/Alejandro Salazar (ETSU) def. Patrick Fillnow/James Cameron (FUR) 8-5
2. Moises Serrano/Diego Iglesias (ETSU) def. Andrew Rogers/Ben Pauluhn (FUR) 8-
3. Chris Henderson/Allen Simmons (FUR) def. Fernando Fiuri/Federico Ochoa (ETSU) 8-6