Charleston, S.C. (Mar. 22, 2003) -- East Tennessee State defeated The Citadel, 4-3, in Southern Conference tennis action Saturday afternoon at the Donald C. Bunch Courts.
The Bulldogs (7-11, 0-5) played hard throughout the double point matches against the visiting Bucs (6-5, 1-0). In doubles play, East Tennessee State's Marcos Pavlovich (Otamendi, Argentina) and Alejandro Salazar (Arequipa, Peru) defeated Matt Stubbs / John Williams, 8-4. The number two seed, Diego Iglesias (Mar del Plata, Argentina) and Moises Serrano (Bucaramanga, Colombia) out matched The Citadel's David Lara / Warren Woolfolk, 8-5. In the final match of doubles play, the Bucs' Fernando Fiuri (Villa Maria, Argentina) and Ferderico Ochoa (Manizales, Colombia) out hit Nick Medica / Lawrence Tere, 8-6.
In singles play, the number one seed, Stubbs of The Citadel continued his tough play, however, was defeated by Pavlovich, 6-2, 7-6, 6-3. In the number two spot, Williams out played his opponent from East Tennessee State, Salazar, to gather a victory, 6-4, 6-2. The Bucs won the third seed by the play of Iglesias against Tere, 6-1, 6-2. The Citadel's Medica, played tough in the fourth seed, but could not overcome Fiuri's quickness, losing 5-7, 7-6, 6-4. In the fifth seed, Lara from The Citadel defeated Serrano, 6-4, 6-2. The Citadel's third win came with the help of Warren Woolfolk when he out matched Francisco Diaz (Weston, Fla.), 6-3, 4-6, 6-4.
East Tennessee State will continue their road swing to play the College of Charleston on March 23.
East Tennessee State 4, The Citadel 3
1. Marcos Pavlovich def. Matt Stubbs, 6-2, 7-6, 6-3;
2. John Williams def. Alejandro Salazar, 6-4, 6-2;
3. Diego Iglesias def. Nick Medica, 6-1, 6-2;
4. Fernando Fiuri def. Lawrence Tere, 5-7, 7-6, 6-4;
5. David Lara def. Moises Serrano, 6-4, 6-2;
6. Warren Woolfolk def. Francisco Diaz, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
1. Pavlovich/Salazar def. Stubbs/Williams, 8-4;
2. Iglesias/Serrano def. Lara/Woolfolk, 8-5;
3. Fiuri/Ferderico Ochoa def. Medica/Tere, 8-6