CHARLESTON, S.C. (April. 23, 2004) - Top-seeded East Tennessee State advanced to the semifinals with a 4-0 win over #9 Davidson in the quarterfinals of the 2004 Southern Conference Men's Tennis Championships. The Bucs improve to 18-5 with the Wildcats falling to 9-13.
ETSU took the doubles point with wins from Diego Iglesias (Mar del Plata, Argentina) and Moisés Serrano (Bucaramanga, Columbia) at the No. 2 slot and Fernando Fiuri (Villa Maria, Argentina) and Felix Insaurralde (Asunción, Paraguay) at the No. 3 slot.
The Bucs then took three quick singles matches to put the score at 4-0 for the win. ETSU earned wins from Oscar Posada (Valencia, Venezuela) at No. 2 (6-1, 6-3), Fiuri at No. 4 (6-0, 6-0), and Insaurralde at No. 6 (6-0, 6-2). The singles win for Fiuri was his ninth consecutive win.
ETSU will take on the winner of The Citadel/Appalachian State match, which is currently in progress. The two teams will face off at 8:30 am on Saturday, April 24 at the Earle Tennis Center on the campus of The Citadel.
ETSU 4, Davidson 0
1. Alejandro Salazar (ETSU) vs. Rob Haywood (DAV), DNF
2. Oscar Posada (ETSU) def. Bryan Stonestreet (DAV), 6-1, 6-3
3. Diego Iglesias (ETSU) vs. Russ Burns (DAV), DNF
4. Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) def. Porus Jetli (DAV) 6-0, 6-0
5. Moises Serrano (ETSU) vs. Daniel Bermeo (DAV) DNF
6. Felix Insaurralde (ETSU) def. John Bolton (DAV) 6-0, 6-2
1. Posada/Salazar (ETSU) vs. Haywood/Burns (DAV) DNF
2. Iglesias/Serrano (ETSU) def. Rob Gould/Bolton (DAV) 8-5
3. Firui/Insaurralde (ETSU) def. Stonestreet/Jetli (DAV) 8-6