JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (April 17, 2004) - The No. 70 East Tennessee State men's tennis team wrapped up regular season play with a 6-1 win against UNC Greensboro on Saturday afternoon. The win is ETSU's tenth straight and earns them the regular season championship title. The win improves the Bucs' record to 17-5 overall, and a perfect 10-0 record in the SoCon while UNCG falls to 5-17, 4-6.
In doubles action, the Bucs took care of business with three quick wins to take the point. At No. 1, Oscar Posada (Valencia, Venezuela) and Alejandro Salazar (Arequipa, Peru) defeated Julio Moran and Pieter Visser 8-4. At the No. 2 slot, Diego Iglesias (Mar del Plata, Argentina) and Moisés Serrano (Bucaramanga, Columbia) beat Greg Levy and Marc Ladouceur 8-1. Fernando Fiuri (Villa Maria, Argentina) and Felix Insaurralde (Asunción, Paraguay) wrapped up doubles action with their 8-4 win against Chris Magnone and Jason Steinhorn 8-4 for the doubles point.
In between doubles and singles action, seniors Iglesias and Serrano were recognized for their contributions to Buccaneer tennis during their last three years with the program.
"We're proud of our seniors," commented Dave Mullins, ETSU's Director of Athletics. "They are outstanding players and outstanding young men."
The Bucs then returned to the courts and took the next five points in singles action with wins from Salazar at No. 1 (6-0, 6-3), Posada at No. 2 (6-3, 6-0), Iglesias at No. 3 (6-2, 6-3), Fiuri at No. 4 (6-2, 6-2), and Insaurralde at No. 6 (6-1, 6-1).
"I'm glad the guys kept it together for the whole regular season. This is a tribute to their hard work of what we came out to do," said head coach Yaser Zaatini. "Now we need to keep it together for the Southern Conference tournament."
ETSU now heads into the Southern Conference tournament and will play their first match on April 23rd at 8:30 a.m. The Bucs will face the winner from the No. 8 seed and No. 9 seed match.
No. 70 ETSU 6, UNC Greensboro 1
1. Posada/Salazar (ETSU) def. Julio Moran/Pieter Visser (UNCG) 8-4
2. Iglesias/Serrano (ETSU) def. Greg Levy/Marc Ladouceur (UNCG) 8-1
3. Insaurralde/Fiuri (ETSU) def. Chris Magnone/Jason Steinhorn (UNCG) 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Alejandro Salazar (ETSU) def. Greg Levy (UNCG) 6-0, 6-3
2. Oscar Posada (ETSU) def. Marc Ladouceur (UNCG) 6-3, 6-0
3. Diego Iglesias (ETSU) def. Julio Moran (UNCG) 6-2, 6-3
4. Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) def. Chris Magnone (UNCG) 6-2, 6-2
5. Moises Serrano (ETSU) def. Pieter Visser (UNCG) 5-7, 7-6, 12-10
6. Felix Insaurralde (ETSU) def. Jason Sterhorn (UNCG) 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 4*, 2, 3, 5
* - Clinching point
UNC Greensboro 5-17 overall, 4-6 SoCon
ETSU 17-5 overall, 10-0 SoCon