JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (April 14, 2004) - The No. 70 East Tennessee State men's tennis team extended its winning streak to nine games with its 6-1 win over Appalachian State University on Tuesday afternoon. The Bucs improve to 16-5 overall with the win and remain undefeated in the SoCon with a 9-0 record, while ASU drops to 9-12, 3-5.
ETSU swept the doubles point with wins at all three positions. Oscar Posada (Valencia, Venezuela) and Alejandro Salazar (Arequipa, Peru) defeated Ben Shuster and Alex Probst by a score of 8-3 at No. 1. Diego Iglesias (Mar del Plata, Argentina) and Moisés Serrano (Bucaramanga, Columbia) battled Jason Nius and Andrew Waters in an 8-6 decision at No. 2. Fernando Fiuri (Villa Maria, Argentina) and Felix Insaurralde (Asunción, Paraguay) battled to a 9-8 victory against Andrew Taylor and Dimitar Dimitrov.
The Buccaneers continued to roll past the Mountaineers in singles with wins from Salazar at No. 1 (6-3, 6-1), Posada at No. 2 (7-6, 6-1), Fiuri at No. 4 (6-1, 6-2), Serrano at No. 5 (6-3, 7-6), and Insaurralde at No. 6 (6-2, 6-1).
ETSU returns home to host its last regular match of the season against Southern Conference foe UNC Greensboro on April 17.
No. 70 ETSU 6, Appalachian State University 1
1. Posada/Salazar (ETSU) def. Ben Shuster/Alex Probst (ASU) 8-3
2. Iglesias/Serrano (ETSU) def. Jason Nius/Andrew Waters (ASU) 8-6
3. Insaurralde/Fiuri (ETSU) def. Andrew Taylor/Dimitar Dimitrov (ASU) 9-8
1. Alejandro Salazar (ETSU) def. Alex Probst (ASU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Oscar Posada (ETSU) def. Dimitar Dimitrov (ASU) 7-6, 6-1
3. Ben Shuster (ASU) def. Diego Iglesias (ETSU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) def. Andrew Waters (ASU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Moises Serrano (ETSU) def. Jason Nius (ASU) 6-3, 7-6
6. Felix Insaurralde (ETSU) def. Jacob Stapleton (ASU) 6-2, 6-1
Appalachian State 9-12 overall, 3-5 SoCon
ETSU 16-5 overall, 9-0 SoCon