WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (Feb. 20, 2004) - The East Tennessee State men's tennis team lost their second consecutive close match to a ranked opponent, falling to No. 42 Wake Forest, 4-3, Friday evening from the Wake Forest Tennis Center in Winston-Salem, N.C.
The Bucs began the match on a positive note, winning the doubles point to go up 1-0. The Buccaneer team of freshman Oscar Posada (Valencia, Venezuela) and senior Alejandro Salazar (Arequipa, Peru) defeated Derek Spice and Brett Ross of Wake Forest at No. 1. The Demon Deacons then picked up a win as Todd Paul and Andrew Hamar were victorious over junior Fernando Fiuri (Villa Maria, Argentina) and freshman Felix Insaurralde (Asunción, Paraguay), 8-6, at No. 2. The Bucs won the decisive doubles match as senior Diego Iglesias (Mar del Plata, Argentina) and junior Moises Serrano (Bucaramanga, Colombia) won an 8-5 decision over Andrew Simpson and David Loewenthal of Wake at No. 3.
Down, 1-0, Wake Forest stormed back and won four out of six singles matches to clinch the victory. At No. 1 singles, Wake's Spice defeated ETSU's Salazar, 6-3, 6-4. Posada came back won for the Bucs at No. 2 over No. 77 Andrew Hamar, 5-7, 6-4, (13-11). At No. 3, Wake's Paul defeated ETSU's Iglesias, 6-1, 7-5. The Demon Deacons picked up another point at No. 4, as Ross downed East Tennessee State's Serrano, 6-3, 7-5. The Bucs fought back with a win at No. 5, as Fiuri defeated Wake Forest's Andrew Simpson, 4-6, 6-4, (10-3). Wake won the final singles match as Joe Bates was victorious at No. 6 over ETSU's Insaurralde, 7-6 (4), 6-3.
With the win, Wake Forest raises their record to 4-3 on the season while the Bucs fall to 4-3.
The Bucs will play in North Carolina again on Saturday, traveling to face N.C. State at 1 p.m. from Raleigh, N.C.
No. 42 Wake Forest 4, ETSU 3
1. Derrick Spice (WFU) def. Alejandro Salazar (ETSU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Oscar Posada (ETSU) def. #77 Andrew Hamar (WFU), 5-7, 6-4, (13-11)
3. Todd Paul (WFU) def. Diego Iglesias (ETSU), 6-1, 6-4
4. Brett Ross (WFU) def. Moises Serrano (ETSU), 6-3, 7-5
5. Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) def. Andrew Simpson (WFU), 4-6, 6-4, (10-3)
6. Joe Bates (WFU) def. Felix Insaurralde (ETSU), 7-6 (4), 6-3
1. Posada/Salazar (ETSU) def. Spice/Ross (WFU), 9-7
2. Paul/Hamar (WFU) def. Insaurralde/Fiuri (ETSU), 8-6
3. Serrano/Iglesias (ETSU) def. Simpson/Loewenthal (WFU), 8-5