ROCK HILL, S.C. (Feb. 8, 2004) - The East Tennessee State men's tennis team beat the Winthrop Eagles in a 4-3 decision on Saturday.
ETSU started the match winning the doubles point with victories from the pairing of Moises Serrano (Bucaramanga, Columbia) and Diego Iglesias (Mar del Plata, Argentina) as well as from the team of Felix Insaurralde (Asunción, Paraguay) and Fernando Fiuri (Villa Maria, Argentina).
Seniors Alejandro Salazar (Arequipa, Peru) and Iglesias along with freshman Insaurralde provided the singles wins for the Bucs.
Iglesias' win over Adam Narczewski was the deciding factor in the match. The two battled 5-7, 6-0 sending it to a third set tiebreaker. In the tiebreaker, Iglesias was down five match points but was able to come back to win 9-7.
"Diego really demonstrated in the match why he is a co-captain along with Alejandro," commented head coach Yaser Zaatini. "They both helped to lead the team to victory."
"Overall, it was an exciting match and our guys presented a good performance," stated Zaatini. "The team stuck together. They played great doubles and were able to win three singles points. While we still have areas to improve upon, I'm very satisfied with how they fought."
ETSU 4, Winthrop 3
1. Clayton Almeida (Winthrop) def. Oscar Posada (ETSU) 6-4, 7-6
2. Alejandro Salazar (ETSU) def. Michal Kwiecien (Winthrop) 6-3, 6-1
3. Diego Iglesias (ETSU) def. Adam Narczewski (Winthrop) 5-7, 6-0, 9-7
4. Gary Kilduff (Winthrop) def. Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) 6-4, 6-0
5. Jorge Padilla (Winthrop) def. Moises Serrano (ETSU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Felix Insaurralde (ETSU) def. Thiago Barbosa (Winthrop) 6-0, 6-2
1. Clayton Almeida/Michal Kwiecien (Winthrop) def. Oscar Posada/Alejandro Salazar (ETSU) 8-6
2. Moises Serrano/Diego Iglesias (ETSU) def. Gary Kilduff/Gustavo Zanette (Winthrop) 8-2
3. Felix Insaurralde/Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) def. Adam Narczewski/Jorge Padilla (Winthrop) 8-6