SEATLLE, Wash. (Feb. 7, 2010) - Just when it looked like ETSU men's tennis freshman Jesus Bandres (Caracas, Venezuela) was ready to pull out his clinching three-set match at No. 3 singles, which would have gave the Bucs a huge upset over No. 24 Washington, Huskies senior captain Derek Drabble stormed back from a 0-2 deficit to lead host Washington to a 4-3 win inside the Nordstrom Tennis Center.
With their loss late Sunday evening the 60th-ranked Bucs fall to 2-4 on the season, while the Huskies improved to 7-1 after winning its second straight Great Northwest Shootout title.
ETSU opened the match as Bandres and sophomore Sander Gille (Kuringen, Belgium) - who is currently ranked 52 in doubles by the ITA - picked up the Bucs lone doubles win with a 9-7 win over Drabble and Martin Kildahl.
After Tobi Obenaus gave UW at two point lead, junior Grega Teraz (Mojstrana, Slovenia) continued his impressive play in Seattle with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Kyle McMorrow at No. 2 singles. Overall, the 82nd-ranked Buc has played some of his best tennis over the past two weeks. After Teraz posted back-to-back wins against Mississippi State and Washington, the Mojstrana, Slovenia native has now won his last four straight singles contests.
With Teraz pushing the score to 2-1, Gille continued the Buc comeback after he tied the match with his 6-4, 6-4 straight set win over Kildahl at No. 4. Washington then responded as Jeevan Nedunchezhivan outlasted junior Charles Bottoni (Bois Guillaume, France) in a long three-set contest at No. 1 6-1, 3-6, 6-1, to regain the lead.
After Buc freshman Juan Ramirez (Asuncion, Paragury) countered the Washington advantage with his 7-6, 6-4 win over Alex Rosinski, all eyes turned to Bandres' contest, where the Huskies prevailed with the victory.
ETSU will have the next week off, returning to action February 20 at Wake Forest.
Washington Men's Tennis
Great Northwest Shootout
February 7, 2010 - Seattle, Wash.
Nordstrom Tennis Center
No. 24 Washington 4, No. 60 East Tennessee State 3
1) Nedunchezhiyan/McMorrow (UW) def. Teraz/Bottoni (ETSU), 8-6
2) (52) Gille/Bandres (ETSU) def. Drabble/Kildahl (UW), 9-7
3) Obenaus/Rosinski (UW) def. Isaza/Akser (ETSU), 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1) Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. (89) Charles Bottoni (ETSU), 6-1, 3-6, 6-1
2) (82) Grega Teraz (ETSU) def. Kyle McMorrow (UW), 6-3, 6-4
3) Derek Drabble (UW) def. (51) Jesus Bandres (ETSU), 6-4, 6-7 (7), 6-2
4) Sander Gille (ETSU) def. Martin Kildahl (UW), 6-4, 6-4
5) Tobi Obenaus (UW) def. Robin Akser (ETSU), 6-3, 6-0
6) J.C. Ramirez (ETSU) def. Alex Rosinski (UW), 7-6, 6-4
Order of finish: 5, 2, 4, 1, 6, 3
For more information on the ETSU men's tennis team please visit, www.ETSUBucs.com.