Friday, March 14, 2014
Singles play propels Women's Tennis past FGCU, 6-1; Men clinch 5-2 win
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (March 14, 2014) - The ETSU men's and women's tennis teams each picked up convincing, conference-opening wins over Florida Gulf Coast Friday, with the women's squad winning, 6-1, and the men's team following suit, 5-2. With the wins, both squads extended their win streaks to two matches.
Both teams will look to continue their winning ways Saturday, March 15 as they play host to Stetson, with the women taking the court at 10:00 a.m., followed by the men at 2:00 p.m.
The Buccaneers (5-7) snapped the Eagles (6-5) three-match win streak as ETSU dominated singles play, winning all six points.
"Today was not an easy win," ETSU head coach Travis Sandlant said. "The focus stepped up after the doubles matches, and that proved to be the difference today."
FGCU came away with the doubles point after winning at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles, however, it would be the only point the Eagles would win all day.
All six ETSU players picked up wins in singles play, including come-from-behind wins by Lyn Yee Choo (Kuching, Malaysia) and Salma Dahbi (Marrakech, Morocco).
"The whole team needs recognition, but Tessie [Choo] and Salma [Dahbi] to come back after being a set down was good to see," Sandlant said. "We have played some tough matches leading up to our first conference match and that prepared us well."
1. Choo (ETSU) def. S. Means (FGCU), 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
2. Andreazza (ETSU) def. Stampfli (FGCU), 6-1, 7-5
3. Gerbasi (ETSU) def. Sterkel (FGCU), 6-2, 6-3
4. Espana (ETSU) def. Munoz (FGCU), 6-3, 6-3
5. Brumit (ETSU) def. E. Means (FGCU), 6-2, 6-1
6. Dahbi (ETSU) def. Botha (FGCU), 5-7, 6-1, 6-2
1. Means/Means (FGCU) def. Choo/Gerbasi (ETSU), 8-6
2. Sterkel/Botha (FGCU) def. Andreazza/Brumit (ETSU), 8-5
3. Espana/Dahbi (ETSU) vs. Stempfli/Munoz (FGCU), 7-5, unfinished
The Buccaneers (5-8) swept the doubles points against FGCU before winning four singles points to clinch the victory.
Sebastian Yllera (Cinco Saltos, Argentina), Conner Huertas (Lima, Peru), Ismael Merino (Lima, Peru), and Roger Ordeig (Gurb, Spain) won at No. 3, No. 4, No. 5, and No. 6 singles, respectiely, with each winning in straight sets.
1. Vives (FGCU) def. Biosca (ETSU), 6-1, 2-6, 7-5
2. Bao (FGCU) def. Nunez (ETSU), 6-4, 7-6
3. Yllera (ETSU) def. Tsomas (FGCU), 6-2, 6-0
4. Huertas (ETSU) def. Ivovsky (FGCU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Merino (ETSU) def. Vaz (FGCU), 6-1, 6-2
6. Ordeig (ETSU) def. Echeverry (FGCU), 6-2, 6-3
1. Merino/Nunez (ETSU) def.Vives/Tsamas (FGCU), 8-7 (10-8)
2. Ordeig/Biosca (ETSU) def. Bao/Ivovsky (FGCU), 8-5
3. Yllera/Huertas (ETSU) def. Vaz/Perrigon (FGCU), 8-5
FOLLOW THE BUCS
|Copyright ©2015 East Tennessee State Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.ETSUBucs.com|