Fiery Bucs continue winning ways with well-balanced effort versus Mountaineers
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (March 19, 2014) - Remaining unbeaten at home, the 57th-ranked ETSU men's tennis team extended its win streak to four matches by knocking off Southern Conference opponent Appalachian State, 6-1, Wednesday afternoon.
The Buccaneers (7-8, 2-0) controlled play throughout the day, taking the doubles point by notching wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles.
ETSU then proceeded to win five of six singles matches to seal its fourth consecutive win of the season. The Bucs haven't suffered a loss since Feb. 22 versus No. 51 UNC-Wilmington.
"I felt we came together well today," ETSU head coach Yaser Zaatini said. "We played very upbeat. I think we caught them a little off guard. Because we have so many fresh faces, it was hard for them to decipher our style early on."
ETSU newcomers, freshmen David Biosca (Sant Fruitos De Bage, Spain), Diego Nunez (Monterrey, Mexico), Ismael Merino (Lima, Peru), Conner Huertas Del Pino (Lima, Peru), and sophomore Sebastian Yllera (Cinco Saltos, Argentina), have combined to go 11-2 in singles play throughout the Bucs' last three matches.
"I don't think they were expecting such consistency from a bunch of freshmen," Zaatini said. "I think we held our ground pretty well."
With its win versus the Mountaineers (4-7), ETSU advanced to 3-0 at home on the year.
The Buccaneers will look to continue their winning ways this weekend as they continue Atlantic Sun play, travelling to Northern Kentucky Friday, March 21 before visiting Lipscomb Saturday, March 22.
"Hopefully we will be able to carry this momentum into the weekend as we continue conference play," ETSU assistant coach Ricky Rojas said.
#57 ETSU 6, Appalachian State 1
1. #105 David Biosca (ETSU) def. Sebastien King (APPM) 6-1, 6-1
2. #124 Diego Nunez (ETSU) def. Oliver Casey (APPM) 6-3, 6-4
3. Ismael Merino (ETSU) def. Daniel Hoang (APPM) 6-1, 6-2
4. Sebastian Yllera (ETSU) def. Zach Bost (APPM) 6-1, 6-0
5. Roger Ordeig (ETSU) def. Jack Maddocks (APPM) 6-2, 6-3
6. Jan-Willem Kleynhans (APPM) def. Ricardo Pabon (ETSU) 5-7, 7-6, 11-9
1. Ismael Merino/Diego Nunez (ETSU) vs. Sebastien King/Zach Bost (APPM) 5-5, unfinished
2. Roger Ordeig/David Biosca (ETSU) def. Daniel Hoang/Oliver Casey (APPM) 8-4
3. Sebastian Yllera/Conner Huertas (ETSU) def. Jan-Willem Kleynhans/Steve Lake (APPM) 8-2
Appalachian State 4-7
ETSU 7-8; National ranking #57
FOLLOW THE BUCS