Saturday, March 22, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (March 22, 2014) - The ETSU men's tennis team extended its season-best win streak to six matches Saturday, defeating Lipscomb, 6-0, on the road.
One day after notching a commanding 7-0 win at Northern Kentucky, the Buccaneers (9-8, 4-0) picked up right where they left off, winning all six singles points versus Lipscomb, including a come-from-behind win by Ismael Merino (Lima, Peru) at No. 5 singles.
"It was a great weekend for the Bucs," ETSU head coach Yaser Zaatini said. "We played a pretty solid pair of matches this weekend. The guys kept their composure and competed extremely well. Again, there are some areas that need attention and improvement, but overall, we played fairly well collectively."
Merino and Sebastian Yllera (Cinco Saltos, Argentina) have each won four consecutive singles matches, while senior Roger Ordeig (Gurb, Spain) has found the win column in a team-best five consecutive matches.
Meanwhile, freshman David Biosca (Sant Fruitos De Bage, Spain) clinched his third straight win at No. 1 singles, knocking off Lipscomb's Rob Mitchell, 6-3, 6-3.
The Buccaneers, who entered the weekend tied with Kennesaw State for first place in the Atlantic Sun, will continue league play Friday, March 28 when they visit North Florida in Jacksonville, Fla.
1. David Biosca (ETSU) def. Rob Mitchell (LIP), 6-3, 6-3
2. Diego Nunez (ETSU) def. David Salazar (LIP), 6-2, 6-0
3. Sebastian Yllera (ETSU) def. Daniel Hernandez (LIP), 6-3, 6-4
4. Connor Huertas Del Pino (ETSU) def. Stuart Tierney (LIP), 6-3, 5-7, (10-8)
5. Ismael Merino (ETSU) def. Miguel Cortez (LIP), 4-6, 6-0, 7-6 (5)
6. Roger Ordeig (ETSU) def. Nacor Ibanez (LIP), 6-0, 6-1
1. Ismael Merino/Diego Nunez (ETSU) v. Miguel Cortez/Stuart Tierney (LIP) - DNP
2. Roger Ordeig/David Biosca (ETSU) v. Daniel Hernandez/Rob Mitchell (LIP) - DNP
3. Connor Knox/Connor Huertas Del Pino (ETSU) v. David Salazar/Nacor Ibanez (LIP) - DNP
FOLLOW THE BUCS
|Copyright ©2015 East Tennessee State Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.ETSUBucs.com|