Johnson City, Tenn. -- Florida Atlantic took four of six singles matches from East Tennessee State to defeat the Bucs in men's tennis action in Boca Raton, Fla. on Thursday afternoon.
Senior Gustavo Gomez continued his strong spring as he defeated Doug Douveent 6-3,6-4 in No.1 singles action. Buccaneer Pablo Sahagun fell to Yaline Belgin 6-0,6-2 after he was forced to play No. 2 singles due to an ankle injury suffered in Tuesday's match with Penn, which relegated Marcos Pavlovich to the sidelines.
At No. 3 singles Martin Jirak defeated Roberto Fernandez in two sets, 6-2, 6-4. No. 4 singles saw ETSU's Juan Yannuzzi down FAU's Savore Spotti 6-4,4-1 ret. after Spotti retired late in the second set. Fabio Faerman defeated Francisco Diaz 6-1, 6-2 in No. 5 singles. Antonio Bugge rounded out the singles action by falling to FAU's Kody Lewis 7-6, 6-2.
Florida Atlantic took the doubles point with two wins over the Buccaneers. In the first doubles match, Belgin and Jirak defeated Fernandez and Bugge 8-4. Gomez and Yannuzzi drew the doubles tally even with a 9-7 victory over Douveent and Lewis. The final doubles match saw Faerman and Spotti defeat David Poole and Sahagun.
"We didn't have all our players due to an injury to (Marcos) Pavlovich. We had to move some guys up and switch our doubles around but we just didn't get the job done today," said head coach Dave Mullins. "We had a run of five wins in a row but hopefully we will rebound nicely next week against Wake Forest, UNC Greensboro and Appalachian State."
The Buccaneers will continue their road swing by playing their next three matches in the Tar Heel state. The Bucs will travel to Winston-Salem to take on the Demon Deacons on March 23, before taking on conference foes UNC Greensboro on Mar. 24 and Appalachian State on Mar. 25.
1. Gustavo Gomez (ETSU) def. Doug Douveent (FAU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Yaline Belgin (FAU) def. Pablo Sahagun (ETSU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Martin Jirak (FAU) def. Roberto Fernandez (ETSU) 6-2,6-4
4. Juan Yannuzzi (ETSU) def. Savore Spotti (FAU) 6-4,4-1 ret.
5. Fabio Faerman (FAU) def. Francisco Diaz (ETSU) 6-1,6-2
6. Kody Lewis (FAU) def. Antonio Bugge (ETSU) 7-6, 6-2
1. Belgin/Jirak (FAU) def. Fernandez/Bugge (ETSU) 8-4
2. Gomez/Yannuzzi (ETSU) def. Douveent/Lewis (FAU) 9-7
3. Faerman/Spotti (FAU) def. David Poole/Sahagun (ETSU) 8-3