Atlanta, Ga. (March 16, 2002) - East Tennessee State's men's tennis team improved to 5-4 on the season with a 4-3 win over Georgia State on Saturday.
The doubles matches were very competitive. The team of Pablo Sahagun (Cuernavaca, Mexico) and Alejandro Salazar (Arequipa, Peru) took the No. 1 match by defeating Georgia State's Pablo Perez-Gras and Luke Bernard, 9-8 (7-5). Marcos Pavlovich (Otamendi, Argentina) and Roberto Fernandez (Cuernavaca, Mexico) lost their No. 2 match, 9-8 (7-5), to Ormaza Matias and Miha Lisac. The Bucs would win the third match with Diego Iglesias (Mar del Plata, Argentina) and Moises Serrano (Bucaramanga, Colombia) defeating Albano Franco and Nicolas Lupica, 8-5.
The singles action would be close as well. Pavlovich won the No. 1 match when Matias retired after losing the first set 6-4. Bernard defeated Sahagun in two straight sets, 6-3 and 6-2. Franco retired in the third set against Iglesias. Perez-Gras took the No. 4 match by beating Salazar, 6-2 and 6-0. Fernandez won his match against Lisac by default. Serrano scored the final point for the Bucs as he defeated Lupica, 6-3 and 6-3.
ETSU 4, Georgia State 3
1. Marcos Pavlovich (ETSU) def. Ormaza Matias (GSU) 6-4, Ret.
2. Luke Bernard (GSU) def. Pablo Sahagun (ETSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Diego Iglesias (ETSU) def. Albano Franco (GSU) 6-4, 5-7, 5-2 Ret.
4. Pablo Perez-Gras (GSU) def. Alejandro Salazar (ETSU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Roberto Fernandez (ETSU) def. Miha Lisac (GSU) 6-4, 6-5 Default
6. Moises Serrano (ETSU) def. Nicolas Lupica (GSU) 6-3, 6-3
1. Sahagun/Salazar (ETSU) def. Perez-Gras/Bernard (GSU) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Matias/Lisac (GSU) def. Pavlovich/Fernandez (ETSU) 9-8 (7-5)
3. Iglesias/Serrano (ETSU) def. Franco/Lupica (GSU) 8-5