CHARLESTON, S.C. (April 19, 2003) - Number one-seeded College of Charleston won the Southern Conference Men's Tennis Championship against second-seeded East Tennessee State, 4-1, Saturday from the Donald C. Bunch Courts at the Earle Tennis Center on The Citadel's campus in Charleston, S.C.
College of Charleston claimed the doubles point from the help of Timo Siebert and Artie Peller against Buccaneer senior Marcos Pavlovich (Otamendi, Argentina) and junior Alejandro Salazar (Arequipa, Peru), 8-5. In the No. 2 match up, East Tennessee State sophomore Moises Serrano (Bucaramanga, Colombia) and junior Diego Iglesias (Mar del Plata, Argentina) defeated Eyal Omid and Liran Kling, 8-6. The third and deciding doubles point was won as Cougar's Thorben Kolk and Philipp Koller defeated sophomores Fernando Fiuri (Villa Maria, Argentina) and Federico Ochoa (Manizales, Colombia) from East Tennessee State, 8-2.
For the men's singles matches, No. 1 seed Cougar Siebert defeated Pavlovich, 6-3, 6-3. In a close match No. 2 seed Salazar from East Tennessee State defeated Omid, 6-3, 6-4. In the battle of the No. 4 seed, Peller from College of Charleston defeated Fiuri, 6-2, 6-3. College of Charleston also took the No. 5 seed when Kling outplayed Buc Serrano, 7-5, 6-2. Single seeds No. 3 Kolk from College of Charleston and Iglesias form East Tennessee State did not finish, as neither did No. 6 seed Koller from College of Charleston and Fransisco Diaz from East Tennessee State.
The 2003 SoCon Men's Tennis Champion, College of Charleston, has gained an automatic bid in the NCAA Men's Tennis Tournament to be played later this month at a date and time still to be decided.
Match 9: #1 College of Charleston defeats #2 East Tennessee State, 4-1
1. Timo Siebert (CofC) def. Marcos Pavlovich (ETSU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Alejandro Salazar (ETSU) def. Eyal Omid (CofC) 6-3, 6-4
3. Thorben Kolk (CofC) led Diego Iglesias (ETSU) 2-6, 5-3 DNF
4. Artie Peller (CofC) def. Fernando Fiuri (CofC) 6-2, 6-3
5. Liran Kling (CofC) def. Moises Serrano (ETSU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Philipp Koller (CofC) led Fransisco Diaz (ETSU) 6-3, 5-2 DNF
1. Siebert/ Peller (CofC) def. Pavlovich/ Salazar (ETSU) 8-5
2. Serrano/ Iglesias (ETSU) def. Omid/ Kling (CofC) 8-6
3. Kolk/ Koller (CofC) def. Fiuri/Federico Ochoa (ETSU) 8-2