CHARLESTON, SC (April 17, 2003) - Second-seeded East Tennessee State topped seventh-seeded Georgia Southern, 4-1, in the second round of the Southern Conference Men's Tennis Championships at Donald C. Bunch Courts on The Citadel's campus.
ETSU earned the doubles point with a win in the first and third doubles matches. Marcus Pavlovich (Otamendi, Argentina) and Alejandro Salazar (Arequipa, Peru) picked up an 8-4 win over GSU's Lasha Janashi and Mark Finnegan at No. 1 doubles. ETSU's No. 3 tandem of Fernando Fiuri (Villa Maria, Argentina) and Frederico Ochoa (Manizales, Colombia) topped Noah Tyler and Uli Ebensperger 8-5 to clinch the doubles point. GSU's Danie Van Der Heever and Vincent Patry led ETSU's Moises Serrano (Bucaramanga, Colombia) and Diego Iglesias (Mar del Plata, Argentina) 8-7 before the match was called.
In singles action, ESTU swept all finished matches. At No. 1 ETSU's Pavlovich defeated Van Der Heever 6-1, 6-2 while teammate Salazar overcame Finnegan 6-3, 6-0. Fiuri outplayed GSU's Ebensperger 6-3,7-5 at No. 4, while ETSU's Ochoa topped off Charles Henn-Trottet from GSU 6-2, 6-2 at No. 6. ETSU's No. 3 Inglesias led GSU's Tyler 7-5, 4-3, but did not finish. The No. 5 match of GSU's Patry and ETSU's Serrano did not finish, 3-6, 6-1, 3-2.
ETSU will continue play tomorrow against Furman on April 18, at 3:00 pm at the Earle Tennis Center on The Citadel campus. The Buccaneers defeated Furman in the regular season, 4-3, at the ETSU Tennis Center.
No. 2 East Tennessee State 4, No. 7 Georgia Southern 1
1. Marcos Pavlovich/Alejandro Salazar (ETSU) d. Lasha Janashia/ Mark Finnegan (GSU), 8-4
2. Mases Serrano/ Diego Iglesias (ETSU) led. Danie Van Den Heever/ Vincent Patry (GSU), DNF 8-7
3. Fernando Fiuri/Fedenco Ochoa (ETSU) d. Noah Tyler/ Uli Ebendperger (GSU), 8-5
1. Marcos Pavlovich (ETSU) d. Danie Van Den Heever (GSU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Alejandro Salazar (ETSU) d. Mark Finnegan (GSU), 6-3, 6-0
3. Diego Iglesias (ETSU) vs. Noah Tyler (GSU), 7-5, 4-3 DNF
4. Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) d. Uli Ebendperger (GSU), 6-3, 7-5
5. Mases Serrano (ETSU) vs. Vincent Patry (GSU), 3-6, 6-1, 3-2 DNF
6. Fedenco Ochoa (ETSU) d. Charles Henn-Trottet (GSU), 6-2, 6-2