CHARLESTON, S.C. (April 24, 2004) - The top-seeded East Tennessee State men's tennis team advanced to the SoCon finals with a 4-0 win over fifth-seeded Appalachian State University on Saturday morning. The Bucs improve to 19-5 with the win, while the Mountaineers end their season with a 12-13 record.
ETSU swept the doubles point with wins from the No. 2 and No. 3 slots. Playing at No. 2 Diego Iglesias (Mar del Plata, Argentina) and Moisés Serrano (Bucaramanga, Columbia) battled Jason Nius and Andrew Waters winning by a score of 8-3. Fernando Fiuri (Villa Maria, Argentina) and Felix Insaurralde (Asunción, Paraguay) took on Andrew Taylor and Dimitar Dimitrov at No. 3 and also won in an 8-3 decision. With the point secured, Oscar Posada (Valencia, Venezuela) and Alejandro Salazar's (Arequipa, Peru) match against Ben Shuster and Alex Probst was halted.
The Buccaneers then picked up three singles wins from Salazar at No. 1 (6-1, 6-3), Iglesias at No. 3 (6-3, 6-2), and Insaurralde at No. 6 (6-0, 6-0) to win the match.
East Tennessee State will take on the winner of the No. 3 seed College of Charleston, which defeated No. 2 seed Furman. The two teams will meet at 11:30 am on Sunday, April 25 at the Earle Tennis Center on the campus of The Citadel.
East Tennessee State 4, Appalachian State 0
1. Alejandro Salazar (ETSU) def. Alex Probst (ASU) 6-1,6-3
2. Oscar Posada (ETSU) vs. Dimitar Dimitrov (ASU) DNF
3. Diego Iglesias (ETSU) def. Ben Shuster (ASU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) vs. Andrew Waters (ASU) DNF
5. Moises Serrano (ETSU) vs. Jason Nius (ASU) DNF
6. Felix Insaurralde (ETSU) def. Andrew Taylor (ASU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Posada/Salazar (ETSU) vs. Probst/Shuster (ASU) DNF
2. Iglesias/Serrano (ETSU) def. Nius/Waters (ASU) 8-3
3. Fiuri/Insaurranlde (ETSU) def. Taylor/Dimitrov (ASU) 8-3