JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Apr. 4, 2004) - No. 65 East Tennessee State men's tennis team took care of business quickly against Southern Conference opponent The Citadel in a 7-0 final Sunday afternoon. With the win, the Buccaneers improve to 11-5 overall, 4-0 in the conference.
"The guys performed solid today coming off of an important match yesterday," commented head coach Yaser Zaatini. "They worked and played hard today, and I'm really happy with the results."
The Bucs gained the point advantage by sweeping all three matches in doubles for the point. The pair of Oscar Posada (Valencia, Venezuela) and Alejandro Salazar (Arequipa, Peru) defeated David Lara and Warren Woolfolk in the No. 1 slot. Diego Iglesias (Mar del Plata, Argentina) and Moisés Serrano (Bucaramanga, Columbia) won their fourth consecutive match at the No. 2 slot over Matt Stubbs and Carl Hocker in an 8-6 decision. Playing in the No. 3 position ETSU's Fernando Fiuri (Villa Maria, Argentina) and Felix Insaurralde's (Asunción, Paraguay) were also victorious with a 8-2 win over Robert Haynie and John Williams.
In singles action, the Bucs continued their success garnering all six singles points. Fiuri stepped up and finished quickly to start the Bucs with a win at the No. 4 slot. He defeated the Bulldog's Warren Woolfolk in a 6-3, 6-1 contest. After Fiuri's win, the domino effect began with wins from Insaurralde at No. 6 (6-1, 6-0) and Salazar at No. 2 (6-3, 6-3). With these three victories, the Buccaneer victory was secured.
The Buccaneers demonstrated their strength on the court by further extending the score in their favor with wins from Posada at No. 1 (6-4, 3-6, 7-5), Iglesias at No. 3 (6-2, 6-2), and Serrano at No. 5 (6-1, 7-5).
Southern Conference action continues for the Buccaneers as they travel to Spartanburg, S.C. to face Wofford on April 5.
East Tennessee 7, The Citadel 0
1. Oscar Posada (ETSU) def. Matt Stubbs (Citadel): 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
2. Alejandro Salazar (ETSU) def. John Williams (Citadel): 6-3, 6-3
3. Diego Iglesias (ETSU) def. Derek Jose (Citadel): 6-2, 6-2
4. Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) def. Warren Woolfolk (Citadel): 6-3, 6-1
5. Moisés Serrano (ETSU) def. David Lara (Citadel): 6-1, 7-5
6. Felix Insaurralde (ETSU) def. Robert Haynie (Citadel): 6-1, 6-0
1. Oscar Posada/Alejandro Salazar (ETSU) def. David Lara/Warren Woolfolk (Citadel): 8-5
2. Diego Iglesias/Moisés Serrano (ETSU) def. Matt Stubbs/Carl Hocker (Citadel): 8-6
3. Fernando Fiuri/Felix Insuarralde (ETSU) def. Robert Haynie/John Williams (Citadel): 8-2