JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Apr. 3, 2004) - No. 65 East Tennessee State men's tennis team battled the College of Charleston to a 4-3 victory on Saturday afternoon. The Buccaneers improve to 10-5 overall, 3-0 in the conference while the Cougars drop to 11-7, 6-2.
"The win against College of Charleston was doubly special today because we lost to them twice last year," said head coach Yaser Zaatini.
The last match between the two teams was the Southern Conference tournament finals in which the Cougars won 4-1.
However, today favored the Bucs, who started by garnering the doubles point. ETSU's Fernando Fiuri (Villa Maria, Argentina) and Felix Insaurralde's (Asunción, Paraguay) finished first in doubles action defeating Bastian Moldhenke and Liran Kling 8-5 in the No. 3 slot. Diego Iglesias (Mar del Plata, Argentina) and Moisés Serrano (Bucaramanga, Columbia) then secured the point with a 9-8 victory at No. 2 over the Cougar's Or Dekel and Philipp Koller. The struggle at the No. 1 slot continued but in the end, Oscar Posada (Valencia, Venezuela) and Alejandro Salazar (Arequipa, Peru) were beat by Timo Siebert and Artie Peller in a 9-7 decision.
"It was a good team effort and we won the important doubles point," commented senior co-captain Salazar. "Everyone gave 100 percent on the court against a tough conference opponent."
In singles action the Bucs improved their team score to 3-0 with wins from Serrano at No. 5 (6-1, 6-0) and Fiuri at No. 4 (6-4, 6-4).
The Cougars then won their first point at the No. 1 slot with Dekel's 6-4, 6-3 win over Salazar.
Iglesias then clinched the game-winning point for the Bucs at the No. 3 slot in a 6-3, 1-6, 6-4 match against Bastian Moldhenke.
Co-captain Iglesias stated, "It feels great to give the team the winning point."
Zaatini commented, "We won the match early because Fernando, Diego, and Moisés took care of business today."
With the match decided, play still continued in the No. 2 and No. 6 positions where the Cougars garnered two more points for the 4-3 final.
The Buccaneers continue SoCon action tomorrow as they host The Citadel tomorrow, April 4 at the ETSU tennis courts.
East Tennessee 4, C of C 3
1. Or Dekel (CofC) def. Alejandro Salazar (ETSU): 6-4, 6-3
2. Timo Siebert (CofC) def. Oscar Posada (ETSU): 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
3. Diego Iglesias (ETSU) def. Bastian Moldhenke (CofC): 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
4. Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) def. Artie Peller (CofC): 6-4, 6-4
5. Moisés Serrano (ETSU) def. Philipp Koller (CofC): 6-1, 6-0
6. Liran Kling (CofC) def. Felix Insaurralde (ETSU): 7-5, 1-6, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 1, 3*, 6, 2
* - Clinching point
1. Timo Siebert/Artie Peller (CofC) def. Oscar Posada/Alejandro Salazar (ETSU): 9-7
2. Diego Iglesias/Moisés Serrano (ETSU) def. Or Dekel/Philipp Koller (CofC): 9-8
3. Fernando Fiuri/Felix Insuarralde (ETSU) def. Bastian Moldhenke/Liran Kling (CofC): 8-5
Order of Finish: 3,2,1