CHARLESTON, S.C. (April 24, 2005) - The East Tennessee State University men's tennis team captured the SoCon Tennis Tournament Championship with a 4-0 win over seventh seeded UTC Chattanooga on Sunday afternoon at the Earle Tennis Center on The Citadel campus. The Bucs extend their winning streak to 18 matches and a 20-3 record closing the season for the Mocs.
The day's action began with the Bucs winning the doubles point. Felix Insaurralde (
With ETSU leading 1-0, singles action began where the Bucs would take three points to decide the match. Picardo started the Bucs off by picking up a point at No. 5 in a 6-2, 6-1 win over Kutschera. Insaurralde then gave the Bucs a 3-0 lead with a win at No. 2 over Ryan Fitzgerald 6-1, 6-2. Senior and team captain Fernando Fiuri (Villa Maria,
For his three straight set wins during the tournament Insaurralde was named the tournament's MVP.
By winning the tournament, the Bucs receive an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament and will wait for their first round opponent to be announced on May 4 with the tournament beginning on May 13. This year's tournament will be the Bucs' fourth appearance in an NCAA Tournament (1999, 2002 and 2004).
1. Posada/Fiuri (ETSU) vs. Fitzgerald/Navarro (UTC) DNF
2. Picardo/Insaurralde(ETSU) d. Vlasenko/Fynn (UTC) 8-4
3. M. Serrano/S.Serrano (ETSU) vs. Kutschera/Michael Hangstefer (UTC) 8-3
Order: 2, 3
1. Oscar Posada (ETSU) vs. Arturo Navarro (UTC) DNF
2. Felix Insaurralde (ETSU) d. Ryan Fitzgerald (UTC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) d. Mark Fynn (UTC) 6-2, 6-4
4. Moisés Serrano (ETSU) vs. Artyom Vlasenko (UTC) DNF
5. Lisandro Picardo (ETSU) d. Tim Kutschera (UTC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Luis Sebastian Serrano (ETSU) vs. Badr Bouabdellah (UTC) DNF
Order: 5, 2, 3*
*- Clinching Point