JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Mar. 25, 2005) - The Buccaneer men's tennis team swept their match against the Mountaineers by a score of 7-0 on the ETSU tennis courts Friday afternoon for their ninth straight win. East Tennessee State improves to 11-3 overall and remains perfect in the SoCon at 5-0, while Appalachian State drops to 5-8, 1-3.
Solid play continued in doubles action for the Bucs as they took all three matches for the point. Felix Insaurralde (Asunción, Paraguay) and Lisandro Picardo (Mar del Plata, Argentina) finished first at No. 2 with an 8-2 win over Dimitar Dimitrov and Andrew Waters. Moisés Serrano (Cartagena, Colombia) and Sebastian Serrano (Cartagena, Colombia) then finished at No. 3 with an 8-4 win over Robert Hogewood and Andrew Taylor to secure the point. Play continued on the first court where the Bucs' Oscar Posada (Valencia, Venezuela) and Fernando Fiuri (Villa Maria, Argentina) would defeat Ryan Brookshaw and Alex Probst 8-3.
In singles action, the Bucs took all six points in straight sets. Posada clinched the match with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Alex Probst at the No. 1 slot.
"Appalachian is a strong team and they had a bunch of fighters. Overall, our guys played well today and I'm satisfied with their performance," stated Head Coach Yaser Zaatini.
The two SoCon teams continue weekend action as Appalachian State will head back to Boone, N.C. to host UT Chattanooga Saturday before the Mocs travel to Johnson City on Sunday to face the Bucs. Both match times are set to begin at 1:00 p.m.
1. Posada/Fiuri (ETSU) d. Brookshaw/Probst (ASU) 8-3
2. Insaurralde/Picardo (ETSU) d. Dimitrov/Waters (ASU) 8-2
3. M. Serrano/S.Serrano (ETSU) d. Hogewood/Taylor (ASU) 8-4
Order: 2, 3, 1
1. Oscar Posada (ETSU) d. Alex Probst (ASU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Felix Insaurralde (ETSU) d. Dimitar Dimitrov (ASU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) d. Ryan Brookshaw (ASU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Moisés Serrano (ETSU) d. Andrew Waters (ASU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Lisandro Picardo (ETSU) d. Zack Williams (ASU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Sebastian Serrano (ETSU) d. Andrew Taylor (ASU) 7-6, 6-2
Order: 5, 3, 1*, 4, 2, 6