JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (Mar. 5, 2011) - After a tough loss to No. 72 North Florida yesterday, the No. 63 ETSU men's tennis team bounced back with an impressive 7-0 sweep of Jacksonville, Saturday afternoon in A-Sun action at the Keith Watson Family Tennis Complex.
The Bucs got out to a quick start by winning the doubles point after sweeping all three matches. The duo of Jesus Bandres (Caracas, Venezuela) and Sander Gille (Kuringen, Belgium) started the day with a solid 8-3 win over Logan Shalmi and Pitt Von Oertzen. Then, the Bucs clinched the doubles point as Grega Teraz (Mojstrana, Slovenia) and Jorge Varon (Valencia, Venezuela) defeated Fernando Banos-Lopez and Lance Lvovsky, 8-4. The Bucs completed the doubles sweep as Robin Akser (Ornskoldsvik, Sweden) and Juan Ramirez (Asuncion, Paraguay) earned a hard fought win over Larry Condez and Jose Fantova, 8-7 (8).
The Bucs remained in control during singles play as well, winning all six matches in straight sets. At the No. 1 position, Gille defeated Fantova, 7-6 (5), 6-3. Bandres rolled past Banos-Lopez at the No. 2 position, 6-3, 6-2.
Teraz got back on track by defeating Condez, 6-4, 6-2, at the No. 3 position, while Jeremy Bonnevalle (Keerbergen, Belgium) remained undefeated in dual singles play with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Shalmi. Freshman Roger Ordeig (Gurb, Spain) earned a spot in the lineup and defeated Lvovsky, 6-3, 6-1, to improve his dual record to 2-0. To close out the scoring, Akser defeated Andrew Lerner, 6-3, 6-1, to earn his first dual victory of the season.
With the win, the Bucs move improve to 5-5 (2-1 A-Sun) on the season, while Jacksonville falls to 2-5 (0-1 A-Sun) on the year.
The Bucs remain in Florida as they will take on Georgetown in DeLand on Monday afternoon. The match is set for 2 p.m.
For more information on the ETSU men's tennis team please go to ETSUBucs.com and click on the men's tennis link. Also, be sure to follow ETSU Athletics on Facebook and Twitter.
ETSU 7, Jacksonville 0
1. Sander Gille (ETSU) def. Jose Fantova (JU) 7-6 (5), 6-3
2. Jesus Bandres (ETSU) def. Fernando Banos-Lopez (JU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Grega Teraz (ETSU) def. Larry Condez (JU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Jeremy Bonnevalle (ETSU) def. Logan Shalmi (JU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Roger Ordeig (ETSU) def. Lance Lvovsky (JU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Robin Akser (ETSU) def. Andrew Lerner (JU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Bandres/Gille (ETSU) def. Shalmi/Von Oertzen (JU) 8-3
2. Akser/Ramirez (ETSU) def. Condez/Fantova (JU) 8-7 (8)
3. Teraz/Varon (ETSU) def. Banos-Lopez/Lvovsky (JU) 8-4