HANOVER, N.H. (Jan. 31, 2014) - In its first five matches, the ETSU men's tennis team had competed well with the ranked opponents it had faced; however, the Buccaneers were stunned by No. 64 Dartmouth Friday evening, suffering a decisive 7-0 setback.
The Bucs (1-5) lost seven of the match's nine spots in straight sets.
Freshman David Biosca (Sant Fruitos De Bage, Spain) and Conner Huertas del Pino (Lima, Peru) extended their matches at No. 2 and No. 5 singles, respectively, to three sets before bowing out.
"We were outsized, outplayed, outcoached, outclassed, and overpowered," ETSU head coach Yaser Zaatini said following the match. "We looked like a high school team against Dartmouth today."
Four of ETSU's representatives in the match were newcomers, including three freshmen.
"Soonoer or later, our inexperience and immaturity was going to flourish," Zaatini said. "I am solely responsible for not preparing our team for this match, and I was embarrassed at how we represented our wonderful university today."
The 7-0 setback is the program's worst loss since Jan. 26, 2013 when the Bucs suffered a 7-0 defeat at No. 4 Ohio State.
ETSU will look to recover when it visits No. 58 Yale Sunday, Feb. 2 at 10:00 a.m.
Dartmouth College 7, East Tennessee State 0
1. Dovydas Sakinas (DAR) def. Diego Nunez (ETSU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Christopher Kipouras (DAR) def. David Biosca (ETSU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Brandon DeBot (DAR) def. Sebastian Yllera (ETSU) 6-5, 6-2
4. Cameron Ghorbani (DAR) def. Ismael Merino (ETSU) 6-1, 6-4
5. George Wall (DAR) def. Conner Huertas del Pino (ETSU) 6-4, 5-6, 10-8
6. Diego Pedraza (DAR) def. Ricardo Pabon (ETSU) 6-2, 6-5
1. Cameron Ghorbani/Brenden Tannenbaum (DAR) def. Ismael Merino/Diego Nunez (ETSU) 6-1
2. Brandon DeBot/Dovydas Sakinas (DAR) def. Sebastian Yllera/David Biosca (ETSU) 6-2
3. Christopher Kipouras/Diego Pedraza (DAR) def. Conner Huertas del Pino/Ricardo Pabon (ETSU) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,6,4,3,2,5)