WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (Jan. 17, 2015) - For the second time in as many days, the ETSU men's tennis team went toe-to-toe with a ranked opponent. ETSU fell to No. 20 Wake Forest, 7-2, Saturday on the Demon Deacons' home court.
The Demon Deacons (2-0), who advanced to the second round of last season's NCAA Tournament, began the day by taking three of the four doubles matches to claim the doubles point. Later on, Wake Forest came away with wins in six singles spots in order to clinch the victory.
ETSU refused to go down without a fight, with Diego Nunez (Monterrey, Mexico), Ismael Merino (Lima, Peru), and Ricardo Pabon (Bogota, Columbia) suffering first-set losses in singles play by narrow 7-6 margins. Nunez took No. 52 Jon Ho to the wire, with Ho capturing a 7-6, 7-5 win at No. 3 singles.
After dropping his opening set, Pabon responded by taking the second set, 6-4, and the tiebreaker, 10-6, to win the No. 7 singles spot versus Sam Bloom. Teammate Sebastian Yllera (Cinco Saltos, Argentia) was responsible for the Buccaneers' (0-2) other win of the day. Similar to Pabon, Yllera dropped his opening set before rallying to win in a third-set tiebreak versus Keivon Tabrizi.
In doubles play, Merino and Nunez teamed up to defeat Skander Mansouri and Keivon Tabrizi at the No. 1 spot. The duo's victory came just one day after a notable, season-opening win over North Florida's 28th-ranked tandem of Jack Findel-Hawkins and Norbert Nemcsek.
ETSU will continue non-conference play next weekend as the Bucs travel to the Pacific Northwest to take on No. 64 Washington, Wisconsin, and Portland in Seattle, Wash.
#20 Wake Forest 7, #67 East Tennessee State 2
1. Noah Rubin (WF) def. #85 David Biosca (ETSU) 6-1, 6-3
2. #12 Romain Bogaerts (WF) def. Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSU) 7-5, 6-2
3. #52 Jon Ho (WF) def. Diego Nunez (ETSU) 7-6 (0), 7-5
4. Skander Mansouri (WF) def. Conner Huertas (ETSU) 6-4, 6-2
5. #102 Maksim Kan (WF) def. Ismael Merino (ETSU) 7-6 (6), 7-6 (5)
6. Sebastian Yllera (ETSU) def. Keivon Tabrizi (WF) 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
7. Ricardo Pabon (ETSU) def. Sam Bloom (WF) 6-7 (5), 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
8. Anthony Delcore (WF) def. Umberto Setter (ETSU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Ismael Merino/Diego Nunez (ETSU) def. Skander Mansouri/Keivon Tabrizi (WF) 6-2
2. Jon Ho/Noah Rubin (WF) def. Rogerio Ribeiro/David Biosca (ETSU) 6-4
3. Romain Bogaerts/Maksim Kan (WF) def. Sebastian Yllera/Conner Huertas (ETSU) 6-3
4. Sam Bloom/Anthony Delcore (WF) def. Ricardo Pabon/Umberto Setter (ETSU) 6-1
FOLLOW THE BUCS