Bucs in pursuit of first win, take on Wisconsin and Portland Saturday afternoon
SEATTLE (Jan. 23, 2015) - For the third time in as many matches, ETSU suffered a setback to a ranked opponent. Friday, the 68th-ranked Buccaneers fell, 4-1, to No. 63 Washington on the Huskies' home court in Seattle, Wash.
ETSU positioned itself well for a potential victory, beginning the match by winning the doubles point.
Sebastian Yllera (Cinco Saltos, Argentina) and Conner Huertas (Lima, Peru) defeated Washington's Jake Douglas and Mitch Stewart, 6-4, while Rogerio Ribeiro (Sao Paulo, Brazil) and David Biosca (Sant Fruitos de Bage, Spain) took down Viktor Farkas and Gal Hakak by an idential 6-4 margin to give the Bucs a 1-0 match lead heading into singles play.
Merino was the lone ETSU player to capture a set in singles play. When the Huskies (2-0) clinched the 4-1 win, Merino was in the midst of a third-set tiebreaker at No. 6 singles, having rallied from losing the first set to take the second set, 6-4, versus Joao Barra.
At No. 1 singles, No. 85 Biosca suffered a narrow first-set loss to Washington's 78th-ranked Mitch Stewart, 7-6. Biosca was leading the second set, 4-1, when play was halted.
Washington found wins at singles spots 2-5 to secure the victory.
The Bucs (0-3) will remain in Seattle to take on Wisconsin Saturday at 1:00 p.m. PST.
#63 Washington 4, #68 ETSU 1
1. #78 Mitch Stewart (UW) vs. #85 David Biosca (ETSU) 7-6, 1-4, unfinished
2. Emmett Egger (UW) def. Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Jake Douglas (UW) def. Diego Nunez (ETSU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Gal Hakak (UW) def. Conner Huertas (ETSU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Viktor Farkas (UW) def. Sebastian Yllera (ETSU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Joao Barra (UW) vs. Ismael Merino (ETSU) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0, unfinished
1. #39 Emmett Egger/Jeff Hawke (UW) vs. Ismael Merino/Diego Nunez (ETSU) 5-4, unfinished
2. Rogerio Ribeiro/David Biosca (ETSU) def. Viktor Farkas/Gal Hakak (UW) 6-4
3. Sebastian Yllera/Conner Huertas (ETSU) def. Jake Douglas/Mitch Stewart (UW) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (3,2,4,5)
FOLLOW THE BUCS