SEATTLE (Jan. 24, 2015) - The ETSU men's tennis team picked up its first win of the young season Saturday, coming from behind twice to knock off Big Ten opponent Wisconsin, 4-3, in a neutral-site match played in Seattle, Wash.
After dropping the doubles point, the 68th-ranked Buccaneers (1-3) rallied to gain a 2-1 advantage following singles wins by Conner Huertas (Lima, Peru) and No. 85 David Biosca (Sant Fruitos de Bage, Spain).
Wisconsin responded, however, reeling off consecutive wins at No. 3 and No. 5 singles to regain control of the match.
With the Badgers (1-1) leading the match, 3-2, ETSU's Ismael Merino (Lima, Peru) put the finishing touches on his No. 6 singles match, defeating Darius Mackenize, 6-3, 6-0, to draw the match even with just one spot—No. 2 singles—yet to be decided.
At No. 2 singles, redshirt junior Rogerio Ribeiro (Sao Paulo, Brazil) sealed the Bucs' victory, closing out a come-from-behind, three-set win versus Jakhongir Jalalov, 3-6, 7-2, 7-5.
The win marked Ribeiro's first regular-season victory since April 21, 2013 after having missed the 2014 spring campaign due to injury.
"After a very nonchalant start, we finally showed a heartbeat," ETSU head coach Yaser Zaatini said. "The talent is there, the schedule is there—now we have to get the job done. Today we did it."
ETSU will round out its Seattle road trip Sunday, Jan. 25 as the Bucs take on Portland.
#68 ETSU 4, Wisconsin 3
1. #85 David Biosca (ETSU) def. Alexander Kokerev (WIS) 7-6, 6-2
2. Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSU) def. Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS) 3-6, 6-2, 7-5
3. Lamar Remy (WIS) def. Diego Nunez (ETSU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Conner Huertas (ETSU) def. Jose Carranza (WIS) 6-4, 5-7, 7-5
5. Josef Dodridge (WIS) def. Sebastian Yllera (ETSU) 7-6, 7-5
6. Ismael Merino (ETSU) def. Darius Mackenize (WIS) 6-3, 6-0
1. Alexander Kokerev/Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS) def. Ismael Merino/Diego Nunez (ETSU) 6-3
2. Josef Dodridge/Jose Carranza (WIS) def. Rogerio Ribeiro/David Biosca (ETSU) 6-4
3. Sebastian Yllera/Conner Huertas (ETSU) vs. Lamar Remy/Darius Mackenize (WIS) 5-6, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (4,1,3,5,6,2)
FOLLOW THE BUCS