ETSU clinches fourth win in last five matches
GREENSBORO, N.C. (March 21, 2015) - Playing in its first Southern Conference match since 2005, the ETSU men's tennis team knocked off UNC Greensboro Saturday, 6-1, in Greensboro, N.C.
The Buccaneers (5-7, 1-0 SoCon) have won four of their last five matches, with the lone loss coming to six-time national champion and fifth-ranked Georgia.
Despite entering Saturday's match on a hot streak, ETSU head coach Yaser Zaatini knew that UNCG would pose a formidable challenge for the Bucs.
"After playing such a solid match against Georgia on Thursday, it was a tricky situation today," Zaatini said. "UNCG is a very solid team. They don't have any weak spots and we had to come out fired up and ready to compete."
ETSU opened the match by winning the doubles point to take an early 1-0 advantage.
Rogerio Ribeiro (Sao Paulo, Brazil) and David Biosca (Sant Fruitos de Bage, Spain) defeated UNCG's Randy Phillips and Connor Thompson at the No. 1 spot, 8-3, while the Bucs won the No. 2 and No. 3 spots by respective 8-6 and 8-5 scores.
With a win at No. 2 Doubles, Ismael Merino (Lima, Peru) and Robert Herrera (Barcelona, Spain) extended their win streak to five matches.
In singles play, Herrera and Ribeiro earned victories at the No. 5 and No. 2 spots, respectively, to extend the Bucs' advantage to 3-0.
UNCG's Daniel Mack then picked up a win at No. 3 Singles for the Spartans (6-7, 0-3 SoCon); however, the Buccaneers responded by winning the remaining three positions to seal the 6-1 victory.
"I believe we did a good job at staying in the match and managed to close it out," Zaatini said. "It was a great way to start conference play and I hope our team keeps the ball rolling."
ETSU will conclude its three-match road trip Sunday, March 22 as the Bucs visit Wofford at 1:00 p.m.
ETSU 6, UNCG 1
1. David Biosca (ETSU) def. Randy Phillips (UNCG) 7-6 (11-9), 2-6, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSU) def. Connor Thompson (UNCG) 6-3, 6-4
3. Daniel Mack (UNCG) def. Conner Huertas (ETSU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Sebastian Yllera (ETSU) def. Cameron Smith (UNCG) 7-5, 6-2
5. Robert Herrera (ETSU) def. Warren Bryan (UNCG) 6-1, 6-4
6. Ismael Merino (ETSU) def. William Albright (UNCG) 7-5, 6-1
1. Rogerio Ribeiro/David Biosca (ETSU) def. Randy Phillips/Connor Thompson (UNCG) 8-3
2. Robert Herrera/Ismael Merino (ETSU) def. William Albright/Warren Bryan (UNCG) 8-6
3. Diego Nunez/Conner Huertas (ETSU) def. Daniel Mack/Cameron Smith (UNCG) 8-5
ETSU 5-7, 1-0 SoCon
UNCG 6-7, 0-3 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,2,3,4,6,1)
REMAINING WEEKEND SCHEDULE
Sunday, March 22 at Wofford* - 1:00 p.m.
*Southern Conference match
FOLLOW THE BUCS