JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (April 4, 2015) - Amidst windy playing conditions, the 63rd-ranked ETSU men's tennis team notched its sixth consecutive victory Saturday, knocking off non-conference opponent Georgia State, 5-2, on the Buddy Hartsell Courts at the Dave Mullins Tennis Complex in Johnson City.
With the victory, ETSU improved its record since Feb. 14 to 9-1 while also extending the program's home unbeaten streak to 16 matches. The Buccaneers' (10-7) last home loss came March 23, 2013 to Dartmouth, 4-3.
"Conditions were tough today—very windy," ETSU head coach Yaser Zaatini said. "I think our guys settled down well. We competed throughout the whole match. Georgia State is a fairly young team this year and we managed to take the 'W', avenging the loss from last year."
Last season, ETSU was edged at Georgia State, 4-3; however, Saturday belonged to the Bucs.
The Buccaneers wasted no time establishing themselves versus the Panthers (7-12), as ETSU captured the doubles point and then earned three, straight-set singles victories to take a definitive, 4-0 lead. The remaining matches were then played out, with Georgia State picking up wins at the No. 3 and No. 4 spots.
Earning singles victories for the Bucs were Rogerio Ribeiro (Sao Paulo, Brazil), Sebastian Yllera (Cinco Saltos), Ismael Merino (Lima, Peru), and David Biosca (Sant Fruitos de Bage, Spain), respectively.
With a win at No. 1 Singles, Biosca extended his team-best singles win streak to six matches. Meanwhile, co-captains Ribeiro and Merino improved their own singles win streaks to five matches.
Ribeiro and Biosca teamed up at No. 1 Doubles to dispatch Georgia State's Zack Kennedy and Sofiane Chevallier, 8-0. At the No. 3 doubles position, Yllera and Conner Huertas (Lima, Peru) defeated Jannis Koeke and Felipe Jaworski, 8-5, to clinch their fifth-consecutive doubles win.
"Today was a good win and solid team performance," ETSU assistant coach Ricky Rojas said. "Now, we have to look forward to next weekend."
ETSU will look to further extend its hot streak next weekend as the Bucs visit SoCon opponents Mercer Friday, April 10 and Chattanooga Saturday, April 11.
#63 ETSU 5, Georgia State 2
1. David Biosca (ETSU) def. Koeke,Jannis (GSU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSU) def. Kennedy,Zack (GSU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Acuna,Sebastian (GSU) def. Diego Nunez (ETSU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Andrukhou, Andrei (GSU) def. Conner Huertas (ETSU) 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (7-2)
5. Sebastian Yllera (ETSU) def. Chevallier,Sofiane (GSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Ismael Merino (ETSU) def. Jaworski,Felipe (GSU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Rogerio Ribeiro/David Biosca (ETSU) def. Kennedy,Zack/Chevallier,Sofiane (GSU) 8-0
2. Ismael Merino/Diego Nunez (ETSU) vs. Acuna,Sebastian/Andrukhou, Andrei (GSU) 6-7, unfinished
3. Sebastian Yllera/Conner Huertas (ETSU) def. Koeke,Jannis/Jaworski,Felipe (GSU) 8-5
Georgia State 7-12
ETSU 10-7; National ranking #63
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,5,6,3,1,4)
FOLLOW THE BUCS