JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (April 23, 2015) - Throughout the season, members of the ETSU men’s tennis team will be featured in a ‘‘Getting to Know’’ segment on ETSUBucs.com.
The next student-athlete to be profiled is Conner Huertas del Pino (Lima, Peru).
In his first two seasons at ETSU, Huertas has played an integral part in the Bucs' success, earning 17 singles win and 24 doubles wins while posting an impressive 20-4 cumulative record in league play. As a freshman, Huertas earned Atlantic Sun Doubles Second Team honors alongside Sebastian Yllera en route to helping ETSU clinch the program's eighth-consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance. This past fall, Huertas teamed with Yllera to take home the Division II Doubles title at the Southern Intercollegiate Championships, knocking off opponents from Vanderbilt, Mercer, and Arkansas. Huertas and Yllera also shared the consolation singles title at the 2014 USTA/ITA Ohio Valley Regional Championships in Nashville, Tenn.
Huertas' teammates came up with the questions. Below are Huertas' responses:
1. What are your plans after graduation?
I want to play on the professional tour
2. Why did you start playing tennis?
Because my two brothers played, so I decided to play.
3. Who is your favorite athlete?
4. What is something that not many people know about you?
I have the ability to fall asleep anywhere whenever I want.
5. Who is the best dancer on the team?
6. What is a bad habit you have?
I struggle starting things like assignments and errands that I am supposed to do.
7. What is your favorite quote?
‘‘When you want to succeed as badly as you want to breath, then you will be successful.’’
8. What is the most adventurous thing you have done?
I was in the middle of the jungle with a notebook and a pencil all by myself at night.
9. If you were not playing tennis what do you think you would be doing?
That’s a really tough question, but I would definitely be playing other sport
10. If you were not afraid of doing something, what would you do?
I am afraid of heights, so I would say something related to that.
11. What is your favorite thing to do off the court?
Watch movies, T.V. shows, and sleep.
12. Who do you look up to most in life?
I would say my dad
13. What country do you most want to visit?
14. If you could have dinner with somebody dead or alive who would it be and why?
Anthony Kiedis (Red Hot Chili Peppers), because he is the lead singer of my favorite band and after reading his book I find him an interesting person.
15. If you could have one thing in the world what would it be?
To live a long and happy life.
16. If you were an animal, what would you be?
17. Which is your favorite non-ETSU tennis memory?
I got to play a challenger in Manta, Ecuador this past summer and I got top play with players ranked Top 50 in the world
FOLLOW THE BUCS