TUCSON, Ariz. (Feb. 16, 2019) – The ETSU men’s tennis team bounced back from a loss yesterday, to defeat Fresno State today, 4-3 at the Robson Tennis Center. The Bucs went 1-1 in their Arizona trip and improve to 4-3, while the Bulldogs fall to 5-3.
David Gonzalez (Barcelona, Spain) and Sergi Fontcuberta (Barcelona, Spain) picked up their second win of the season after defeating Henrique Osorio and Cagatay Soke 6-2. Fresno State’s Zdenek Derkas and Cem Urturk defeated Yusuf Khamis (Cario, Egypt) and Frazier Rengifo (Cali, Colombia) 6-4 to tie the doubles point. Juan Lugo (Maracay, Venezuela) and Chris Mikrovas (Athens, Greece) put up a strong fight, but fell 7-6 (5) at the No. 1 spot, as the Bulldogs would take the doubles point.
Khamis quickly tied the match 1-1 after he defeated Osorio 6-0, 6-1 to improve his singles record to 5-2. Sergi Fontcuberta gave the Bucs a lead with a 6-1, 7-6 (3) win over Angus Bradshaw at the No. 2 spot. Frazier Rengifo earned his sixth win of the season after he came back from falling behind in the first set, to defeat Derkas 3-6, 7-5, 6-2. Fresno State made the score 3-2 after Soke defeated Gonzalez 6-4, 2-6, 6-1. Juan Lugo would come up big for the Bucs to clinch the match in a long battle after winning 6-7 (5), 6-4, 6-2. Jeremy Moser would give the Bulldogs one last point with a 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (4) win over Miguel Este (Caracas, Venezuela) at the No. 6 spot.
ETSU will continue to play on the road next weekend when they begin conference play. The Bucs open SoCon action in Greensboro when they take on UNCG on Friday, Feb. 22 at 2:00 p.m.
1. Frazier Rengifo (ETSUM) def. Zdenek Derkas (FRES) 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
2. Sergi Fontcuberta (ETSUM) def. Angus Bradshaw (FRES) 6-1, 7-6 (8-3)
3. Juan Lugo (ETSUM) def. Mantas Bugailiskis (FRES) 6-7 (5-8), 6-4, 6-2
4. Yusuf Khamis (ETSUM) def. Henrique Osorio (FRES) 6-0, 6-1
5. Cagatay Soke (FRES) def. David Gonzalez (ETSUM) 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
6. Jeremy Moser (FRES) def. Miguel Este (ETSUM) 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (8-4)
1. Mantas Bugailiskis/Angus Bradshaw (FRES) def. Juan Lugo/Chris Mikrovas (ETSUM) 7-6 (8-5)
2. Zdenek Derkas/Cem Erturk (FRES) def. Yusuf Khamis/Frazier Rengifo (ETSUM) 6-4
3. David Gonzalez/Sergi Fontcuberta (ETSUM) def. Henrique Osorio/Cagatay Soke (FRES) 6-2
Match Notes: ETSU 4-3 Fresno State 5-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,2,1,5,3,6)
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
For more information on Buccaneer men’s tennis visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the men’s tennis page.