JOHNSON CITY, TENN. (April 27, 2017) – The East Tennessee State men’s and women’s track and field teams are back in action on Friday, April 28 at the Western Carolina Invitational presented by Catamount Travel Center.
The competition will be the Buccaneers last opportunity to prepare for the Southern Conference Championships, May 11-12 in Birmingham, Ala.
The Western Carolina Invitational will be a one-day meet on Friday, April 289 on the campus of Western Carolina University at the Catamount Athletic Complex. It’s the second time this season ETSU has competed in Cullowhee, doing so back on April 14-15.
ETSU last weekend competed at the Georgia Tech Invitational in which the blue and gold recorded multiple top ten finishes and one event victory. The lone event victory came in the women’s 400m hurdles as senior Katrina Seymour (New Providence, Bahamas) captured first place after running a time of 58.96.
Last year at the WCU Invitational, the Buccaneers had a total of seven event victories en route to the men’s team finishing second while the women’s team placed fourth. Of the seven event victories, the women’s team had three while the men had four.
For the Bucs, the WCU Invitational is the final outdoor meet of the regular season before competing at the SoCon Championships, May 11-12 in Birmingham, Ala., hosted by Samford University. Follow the conference championships is the NCAA East Preliminaries (May 25) where the top 48 times qualify for an opportunity to head to the NCAA Championships in Eugene, Ore.
Fastest Time/Marks in the SoCon
• 100m – Matthew Moore (10.46)
• Javelin – Benjamin Johnson (192’ 10”)
• Decathlon – Nathan Rivera (5,985 points)
• 100m – Katrina Seymour (11.87)
• 100mH – Kyra Atkins (13.37)
• 400mH – Katrina Seymour (58.59)
• 4x100m Relay Team – 45.38
ETSU NCAA East Region Qualifying List (Top 48 advance to NCAA East Prelims)
• Men’s 100m – 42nd – Matthew Moore (10.46 at Weems Baskin Invitational)
• Men’s 3000m Steeplechase – 25th – Simeon Roberts (9:00.06 at Georgia Tech Invitational)
• Men’s Pole Vault – 20th – Brett Squibbs (17’ 075” at Weems Baskin Invitational)
• Women’s 100mH – 14th – Kyra Atkins (13.37 at Weems Baskin Invitational)
• Women’s 400mH – 15th – Katrina Seymour (58.59 at Florida Relays)
For more information on Buccaneer Track and field, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the track and field pages