ETSU track and field wraps up final meet before Conference Championships
LYNCHBURG, Va. (Feb. 10, 2018) – Eleven top season marks for ETSU were set at the Liberty Elite Invitational in Lynchburg, Va. Saturday, as three Bucs returned to Johnson City with victories.
For the third time in three meets, junior Kyra Atkins (Greer, S.C.) took first place in the 60 meter hurdles both in the preliminary round and in the final. Today, she finished with an 8.33 time, setting her season high and missing her PR by only one-tenth of a second.
On the men’s side, senior Hadyn Borghetti-Metz (Rogersville, Tenn.) and Hunter Sampson (Salem, Va.) each won their respective events.
Borghetti-Metz set his personal best in the men’s 1000 meter event, clocking in at 2:31.99 to take the victory.
Sampson, competing in his home state, also set a personal best in the men’s 500 meter run with a time of 1:05.53 to take first place.
More Highlights from Liberty
- Senior Ben Johnson (Nashville, Tenn.) could not extend his record breaking streak to four meets, but finished strong with a second place showing in the men’s weight at 20.35m. He also placed fifth in the shot put with a 15.18m mark.
- Atkins also competed in the women’s 200m dash, placing third with a time of 24.78.
- Junior Kiana Davis (Ooltewah, Tenn.) qualified for the women’s 60m dash final, finishing fourth with a time of 7.67 to narrowly miss her PR of 7.61.
- Sophomore Noah Charles (Johnson City, Tenn.) set two personal best at Liberty, placing second in the mile run with a 4:15.26 time while finishing fifth with a 2:43.49 in the 1K.
- Adding to the personal bests, senior Simeon Roberts (Greeneville, Tenn.) placed second with his new record of 8:16.05 in the men’s 3K.
- Making his collegiate debut, freshman football player and track and field athlete Drae Butts (Gray, Ga.) competed in the triple jump and finished with a 14.22m mark.
- Freshman Matt Scarr (Wamberal, NSW, Australia) set a new personal best and season best at the meet, running a 1:53.52 in the men’s 800 to place third.
- Senior Macy Carrier (Bluff City, Tenn.) placed third in the women’s 5K event at 18:14.46. Freshman Makayla Shaw (Jonesborough, Tenn.) made her collegiate debut in the event, placing sixth at 19:01.87
For full results, use the link on the right side of this page.
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today.