ETSU brings home two individual wins in outdoor opener
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (March 16, 2019) – The ETSU Track and Field finished up its first meet of the 2019 outdoor season on Saturday, competing with over 50 schools at the 49er Classic in Charlotte, N.C.
The Bucs returned home with two wins from the first day with Noah Charles (Johnson City) and Ben Varghese (Kingsport) both winning distance events. The action continued into the second day, highlighted by ETSU’s third place showing in the women’s 4x100.
Track Highlights from Day Two
- The senior-heavy relay team of Lamisha Simmons (Hollywood, Fla.), Starr Graham (Alpharetta, Ga.), Kiana Davis (Ooltewah), along with SoCon Indoor Freshman of the Year freshman Mekayla Brown (Elgin, S.C.), bronzed in the 4x100 with a time of 47.31.
- Junior Khayvonn Benson (Marietta, Ga.) stood out on the men’s track side as he placed eighth out of 105 athletes in the men’s 800 meter run. Benson was just over two seconds behind the leader at 1:54.95.
- Sophomore Heather Feuchtenberger (Elizabethton, Tenn.) cracked the top 20 of a field of nearly 100 athletes, winning her heat and finishing 19th in the women’s 800.
Field Highlights from Day Two
- After competing as a leg in the 4x100, Brown moved over to the sand pit and represented ETSU well in the triple jump. She finished fourth with a jump of 11.96m.
- Sophomore Jaden Finch (Glen Aubrey, N.Y.) turned in a top 10 finish for the second day in a row, recording a throw of 12.15m to rank seventh in the women’s shot put.
- Redshirt senior Ben Johnson (Nashville) placed eighth in the shot put with a throw of 15.20m.
ETSU is scheduled to travel to High Point, N.C. next weekend for the Vertklasse Meeting, running from March 22-23 at High Point University.
For More Information
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.”
For more information on ETSU track and field, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the track and field pages. Also, follow the program on Twitter @ETSU_TF_XC and on Instagram at the handle @etsuxctf.