Aliyah Hill wins triple jump, four qualify for NCAA Regionals
MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. (May 16, 2019) – ETSU track and field added another successful meet to its outdoor season following the 2019 Southern Conference Championships, as a number of athletes competed at the Mount Olive First Chance and Multi on May 11 in North Carolina.
Sophomore Aliyah Hill (Snellville, Ga.) had her first victory of the season at the meet, setting a personal record in the triple jump at an even 12.00 meters. Additionally, ETSU had 12 podium finishes.
Four Bucs were announced as NCAA Regional Qualifiers on Thursday afternoon following the weekend:
- Noah Charles (Johnson City) — men’s 3000m steeplechase
- Kiana Davis (Ooltewah) — women’s 200m
- Karon Delince (Phenix City, Ala.) — men’s long jump
- Lindsey Stallworth (Knoxville) — women’s 5K
- Davis finished second in the 200m dash finals and third in the 100m dash prelims. Davis was announced on Thursday as one of the 48 qualifiers for the 200m dash.
- Senior Wes Pectol (Greeneville) had the men’s highest finish in track action, placing second in the 1500m with a time of 3:52.73. Junior Josh Routh (Gray) was fourth in the same event.
- Sophomore Matthew Scarr (Wamberal, NSW, Australia) finished third place in the men’s 800m, while sophomore Khayvonn Benson (Marietta, Ga.) placed behind him in fourth.
- Back on the women’s side, freshman Genevieve Schwarz (Oak Ridge) and Stallworth had a 2-3 finish in the women’s 1500m, with Schwarz just two seconds off the top time. Stallworth will move on to the NCAA East Regional in the 5000m run.
- In the women’s 100m hurdles, senior Lamisha Simmons (Hollywood, Fla.) earned silver with a time of 14.37.
- Sophomore Heather Feuchtenberger (Elizabethton) placed third in the women’s 800m at 2:14.41.
- Hill’s first victory of the season came in the women’s triple jump, as she was followed in second place by freshman teammate Mekayla Brown (Elgin, S.C.) at 11.88m.
- Brown also competed in the women’s long jump and finished second at 5.71m — a new personal best for the 2019 SoCon Female Freshman of the Year winner.
- Sophomore Jaden Finch (Glen Aubrey, N.Y.) set a personal record in the women’s discus with a launch of 43.36m. She also competed in the hammer throw and placed seventh at 44.87m.
- Delince finished sixth in the men’s long jump at 7.05m. His winning mark at the 2019 SoCon Championships of 7.54m was good enough to qualify him in the top 48 for the NCAA East Regionals prelim.
Charles, Davis, Delince and Stallworth will prepare for the NCAA East Preliminaries in Jacksonville, Fla. scheduled for May 23-25. For more information, click here.
For More Information
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.”
For more information on ETSU track and field, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the track and field pages. Also, follow the program on Twitter @ETSU_TF_XC and on Instagram at the handle @etsuxctf.