Saturday, February 19, 2005
BLACKSBURG, Va. (Feb. 19, 2005) - The East Tennessee State men's tennis defeated the Yale Bulldogs this afternoon in Blacksburg, Va. by a score of 5-2. The Bucs improve to 3-3 with the win, while Yale falls to 1-3 overall.
In doubles, Oscar Posada (Valencia, Venezuela) and Fernando Fiuri (Villa Maria, Argentina) paired at No. 1 to win 9-8 over Ryan Murphy and Brandon Wai. However, Yale would take the doubles point with wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 slots.
In singles, the Bucs would fight to win five of their matches to clinch victory. Wins would come from No. 33 Posada at No. 1 (7-5, 7-5), Felix Insaurralde (Asunción, Paraguay) at No. 3 (6-3, 6-2), Moisés Serrano (Bucaramanga, Colombia) at No. 4 (4-6, 6-3, 6-3), Lisandro Picardo (Mar del Plata, Argentina) at No. 5 (7-5, 6-4), and Sebastian Serrano (Bucaramanga, Colombia) at No. 6 (6-4, 6-3).
"I'm very proud of the team and their ability to fight back in singles after the loss of the doubles point," said head coach Yaser Zaatini. "We have a lot of things to work on and are still looking for our niche in doubles."
ETSU will travel next weekend to Cookeville, Tenn. to face Tennessee Tech next Sunday, Feb. 27. at 11:00 a.m.
ETSU 5, Yale 2
1. Oscar Posada/Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) def. Ryan Murphy/Brandon Wai (Yale) 9-8
2. Chris Lawler/Rowan Reynolds (Yale) def. Moisés Serrano/Sebastian Serrano (ETSU) 8-5
3. Johnny Lu/Milosz Gudzowski (Yale) def. Felix Insaurralde/Lisandro Picardo (ETSU) 8-6
1. No. 33 Oscar Posada (ETSU) def. Brandon Wai (Yale) 7-5, 7-5
2. Ryan Murphy (Yale) def. Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-0
3. Felix Insaurralde (ETSU) def. Milosz Gudzowski (Yale) 6-3, 6-2
4. Moisés Serrano (ETSU) def. Rowan Reynolds (Yale) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Lisandro Picardo (ETSU) def. Rory Green (Yale) 7-5, 6-4
6. Sebastian Serrano (ETSU) def. Johnny Lu (Yale) 6-4, 6-3
|Copyright ©2013 East Tennessee State Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.ETSUBucs.com|