Sunday, January 23, 2005
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (Jan. 23, 2005) - The East Tennessee State women's tennis team dropped their second match of the season 7-0 against the No. 28 ranked team of William of Mary Sunday at the McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center. The Buccaneers fall to 0-2, while the Tribešs record improves to 1-0.
W&M opened the contest by winning all three doubles matches. Sandie Knight (Adamstown, Australia) and Elena Volobueva (Barcelona, Spain) fell at No. 2 to the 10th rankied doubles team in the nation of Amy Wei and Megan Muth, 8-1. The doubles point was then clinched when Slywia Ziolkowska (Warsaw, Poland) and Masha Ilina (Kyiv, Ukraine) lost 8-5 on court one to W&M's 22nd ranked team of Candice Fuchs and Megan Moulton-Levy.
Singles action did not hold much better for ETSU as W&M was just as dominant in singles, winning all six matches in straight sets.
"It is good to play a team of this quality early in the season," stated head coach Steve Brooks. "We have two weeks until our next match and we'll use that time to make our play cleaner and more energetic.
The Buccaneers next match is scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 5 against Liberty in Lynchburg, Va. at 6:00 p.m.
#28 William and Mary 7, East Tennessee State 0
1. #36 Megan Muth (W&M) d. Elena Volobueva; 6-1, 6-0
2. #33 Megan Moulton-Levy (W&M) d. Mariia Ilina; 6-1, 6-2
3. #110 Lena Sherbakov (W&M) d. Sylwia Ziolkowska; 6-4, 6-1
4. Candice Fuchs (W&M) d. Sandie Knight; 6-1, 6-1
5. Amy Wei (W&M) d. Olya Batsula; 6-1, 6-4
6. Lingda Yang (W&M) d. Gemma Halim; 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 2*, 6, 3, 5
1. #22 Fuchs/Moulton-Levy (W&M) d. Ilina/Ziolkowska; 8-5
2. #10 Muth/Wei (W&M) d. Knight/Volobueva; 8-1
3. Kate Boomershine/Sherbakov d. Batsula/Halim; 8-2
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
* - Clinching Point
|Copyright ©2015 East Tennessee State Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.ETSUBucs.com|